Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conversion to .30 Carbine
 Login/Join

posted
What rifle(s) (preferably single shot , but bolt action would be acceptable) would be useable for conversion to .30 Carbine with the least trouble? Need to be able to mount a scope. Who can you recommend to do the conversion? I know all the limitations of the .30 Carbine, but it is a fun cartrige to reload and shoot and I have about worn out my Marlin 62 and I don't like chasing brass when I shoot my Military .30 Carbine.

Posts: 10 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a Contender barrel if it was me. That way you have your .30 Carbine and an assortment of other calibers to choose from.

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ready_on_the_right:
I would suggest a Contender barrel if it was me. That way you have your .30 Carbine and an assortment of other calibers to choose from.

Mike

I second that. However, beware, you might be buying a lot of barrels. [Roll Eyes] Not that I have any experience with that... [Wink]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Contender route is certainly the surest and most economical. Outside of that, just about any action that was originally chambered for .22 Hornet would likely be adaptable. Another possibility would be a little Martini action, but I don't know how difficult one would be to make work with a rimless cartridge. You might rechamber-rebore an H & R or NEF single shot .22 Hornet break-open gun. If money's no object, I would think that Cooper could build you one on their neat little action.

But if chasing cartridge brass is all that's bothering you, just block the gas piston on your M1 Carbine and make it a straight-pull bolt action. A friend of mine had one like this for years (not intentionally but because of a modification when restocking that he never got around to correcting) and it worked like a charm. He was an avid reloader also, so he just never bothered to return the gun to auto functioning, finding the 15-shot straight-pull bolt more to his liking.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks a bunch. Based on your advice I looked into Thompson Center and have decided to go the Encore route. I have ordered an Encore frame. I also discovered that Foxridge Outfitters offers a 30 carbine Encore custom barrel so I don't have to go through the conversion process. I'll be ordering that soon. Hmmm, maybe a 45-70 barrel next.

Wish me luck.

Posts: 10 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote