New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 handles over pressure
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A fellow brought in a Sendero chambered in 25-06 last week. It had a case head firmly attached to the bolt face and the rest of the case lodged in the chamber. He also included a 20 rd box of Hornady 25-06 American Whitetail ammo less one round. He claimed that was the round fired. Inspection showed the case head brass to have flowed into the extractor groove and the bolt nose had expanded and cracked. Since the bolt was toast we sawed the nose off and revealed a case head stamped .308 Win. Eeker Kinda reminded me of the old 6.5 Arisaka tests.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!

Thankfully he was not hurt!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

And it squitched right down and squirted out the end like a little kid jumping on a tube of tooth paste !

Normally if the nose rim is not cracked or expanded those can be reclaimed. Put a mandrel in the back and run the bolt in the steady rest and carefully cut out the case. Leave about .080 inch of diameter and use a hammer and punch to crush the wheel of brass inward and it will crumple over and fall right out. (don't run the tool into the bolt face) They generally need a new extractor and sometimes ejector but as long as there are no cracks and still headspace they are good to go.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
People that dumb should not be allowed to own rifles.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee
I never did have that exact scenario when I was doing warranty. I wonder if the MFG would side with the owner as there could have been the wrong round in the box? Or whether they would have called shenanigans, told him to pound sand and said it's his responsibility to check every head-stamp?

2020 I should have asked, way back when. I'll probably never know now ! ! ! !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a factory loaded .308Win round with with 22-250 stamped on it.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I have a factory loaded .308Win round with with 22-250 stamped on it.

I bet some MFG rep out there would give you 10 boxes of free ammo just to see that banished from history. You should post an angled picture of that. I could rub that under a few peoples noses for sure. LOL

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once got a 25 caliber barrel from Shilen and when I went to re-cut the centers I couldn't get the pilot in. I miked it and it was 6mm. I checked it over 6 ways from Sunday and it was the prettiest 6mm barrel I had ever seen. Outside of the fact that the twist rate and caliber stamp was wrong. I called Shilen up and explained it to Ed. His explanation was: "One of those god damned drillers is gonna catch hell for this one." He over-nighted us the correct barrel and told us to do-what-will for free with the 6mm barrel. As a recall, the 6mm barrel shot great!

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a fired Win .308 factory in my collection of junk with 243 headstamp. They're out there.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does some factory 30 06 loads with pistol powder mixed in with the rifle powder count? The box was green and yellow.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have probably already told of the guy who shot a 308 Norma through a 7mm STW. I had put together two identical 700 Classics and the hunter had grabbed the right ammo and wrong rifle. The 180 Swift bullet swaged down OK and killed the black bear he shot. A follow-up shot, if needed, would have been impossible since the bolt wouldn't open. After removing the stuck case and replacing the extractor, the rifle was just fine. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
I have a fired Win .308 factory in my collection of junk with 243 headstamp. They're out there.

I bet it never came that way from the factory. I bet someone shot a 243 in a 308 and it fire formed. That's exactly what caused this thread to begin with. I have a friend who has about 1000 once fired 300 Weatherby cases that are head stamped 300 H&H. He got drunk and bought a Weatherby Mark V to impress his buddies with but he soon found out that 300 Weatherby ammo was twice the money of any other ammo. The store owner wouldn't take back the gun without beating him rather harshly but he told the guy he could shoot the much cheaper 300 H&H through it with no problems (which you can). That gun has killed hundreds of critters but has never fired a single round of 300 Weatherby ammunition.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory mistakes happen. I bought a box of Federal unprimed brass once and one of the primer holes wasn't drilled.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a box of 7mm-08 factory ammo with one missing. Was given to me by a guy at work (intelligent at his job, worked on property tax reduction for us).

Evidently he asked one of his buddies to pick up some 7mm ammo for him. Neither realized there was a difference in any of them. Long story short, he never told me what happened to the one round but did admit his gun was a 7mm Rem Mag!

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7.62x51 (308) goes bang just fine in an M-1.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet it never came that way from the factory. I bet someone shot a 243 in a 308 and it fire formed

He does not own a .243, only 308. I pulled it out of the box. Possible, I will have to ask more questions.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmallCal:
I've got a box of 7mm-08 factory ammo with one missing. Was given to me by a guy at work (intelligent at his job, worked on property tax reduction for us).

Evidently he asked one of his buddies to pick up some 7mm ammo for him. Neither realized there was a difference in any of them. Long story short, he never told me what happened to the one round but did admit his gun was a 7mm Rem Mag!

Unless the rifle was CRF, what's the likelihood the smaller round would have stayed close enough to the pin hole to fire?

Posts: 5087 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well that is a valid point. When I was in retail sporting goods a year ago we had a rash of incidents where A-holes were stealing a round or two out of boxes and in some cases putting rounds of a different caliber in boxes. This poor fellow may have bought a box and grabbed a bad round. Although a .308 round would likely stand out in a box of .25-06.

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
coffee
I never did have that exact scenario when I was doing warranty. I wonder if the MFG would side with the owner as there could have been the wrong round in the box? Or whether they would have called shenanigans, told him to pound sand and said it's his responsibility to check every head-stamp?

2020 I should have asked, way back when. I'll probably never know now ! ! ! !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It probably happened at the store where someone was comparing cartridges and put them back in the wrong boxes, although the height difference should have been noticeable.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Firing a 7-08 out of a 7 Mag would result in bad things happening; the case probably will rupture, releasing gas out the rear.
As for wrong ammo in boxes, I do not believe it is factory at all; likely idiots switched them in stores. I still can't believe they allow ammo to be handled by customers. The way ammo is factory manufactured, it is impossible for a wrong round to go into a box with other calibers.
Sabotage.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
There was a post on the Savage Shooters board where a guy fired a 308 out of a 270. Since the case head and body were the correct size, the round chambered. The 308 bullet jammed into the neck of the chamber and headspaced it.

The rifle fired and the bullet hit the 100 yard target about 8" low. The bolt had to be pounded open with the heel of his hand but the gun was fine afterwards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is a totally different scenario; the case is the same diameter so it will seal the gas; in a magnum chamber, it would likely rupture.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I still can't believe they allow ammo to be handled by customers. The way ammo is factory manufactured, it is impossible for a wrong round to go into a box with other calibers.
Sabotage.

Yes, I protested to no avail about moving the ammo from behind the counter. Sales did increase but it doesn't take but one lawsuit to bury you!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That is a totally different scenario; the case is the same diameter so it will seal the gas; in a magnum chamber, it would likely rupture.

I was addressing the original post which was a 308 fired in a 25.06, same case, smaller bore. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Please don't expect me to actually read anything before answering. It is more fun that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had some Mexican vaqueros working for me on my ranch in Texas and I had some doe permits so I told one of the boys to go shoot themselves a deer, my rifle was inside my house in the front room and a box of ammo was on my desk. I usually did that but I had a meeting in town..Got back and was told the gun didn't work, it kicked real hard and wouldn't open, it was locked up big time. It was a 243 and the hands couldn't read (my bad as I knew that)I got a piece of pipe and a hammer locked it in avise an pounded the 99 SAvage lever action open..the case was a .308, Im guessing the 180 Silvertip was as long as a no. 2 pincel when it exited the barrel, the case was separated, but I got it out...Surprisely enough the action wasn't sprung and it operated just fine, speaks highly of the Savage 99...The biggest gun any of those boys ever shot was a 22, and they said it was a much better deer rifle... Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's because you shine them and shoot for the eye. My brother in Chama could always tell when his customers were "meat hunting" 'cause they bought a "short" box of 22 WMR.

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago Magnum magazine in South Africa reported a similar case. A .25-06 built on a Musgrave RSA single shot action survived having a .308 Win fired through it.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had that happen with factory ammo because I never buy or shoot any.

I loaned a good friend family member my '17 Enfield 300Win/m as he was using a .30/30 for elk. Gave him a box of my reloads worked up for that rifle.

Month or so after season I got the gun back and all the ammo was there yet. Said: "I never shoot reloads ever, he'd bought a box of 7mmags and fired one in it." Split the shoulder, saw that and used his .30/30 instead. "missed the target".

Makes a person wonder where all these idjits breed!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Month or so after season I got the gun back and all the ammo was there yet. Said: "I never shoot reloads ever, he'd bought a box of 7mmags and fired one in it." Split the shoulder, saw that and used his .30/30 instead. "missed the target".

I gave up borrowing rifles after a cousin use a 94 Winchester as a drag stick.

He seemed proud of his ingenuity as he told the story.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote