Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 ?s
 Login/Join

posted
I've been looking for a Mauser 98 to build either a 338-06 or a 9,3x62 on. I am getting a bit confused trying to distinguish between all the different Mausers. I have noticed that most of the cheap ones around right now are Turkish which look like large ring actions with small ring barrels, or Yugo's which look like a bit shorter action. I don't really want either of those I just want a large ring 98.

Anyways I was in a pawn shop tonite and think I found one. It is an 8mm that has been sporterized and it says 1940 and 660 on the top of the receiver. It also has German Nazi markings on the barrel and receiver that look like an eagle with it's wings out and it's standing on a swastica in a circle.

The serial #s on the barrel and receiver match but are only four digits long and it has the letter i under the #. I can pick it up for $150 and it's in great shape. Is this a better way to go than one of the cheaper Mausers around?
Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 31 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has the swastikas and eagles IN TACT and has not already been drilled and tapped etc. then yes indeed pick it up for $150 but do not in ANY way sporterize this or touch the metal in ANY way.
Imports all had their markings X'ed out and the only ones that were not X'ed were war trophies and very rare.

-Spencer

posted Hide Post
The swastikas and eagles are intact but they are small, like the size of a BB. It has not been drilled or tapped but it is in a sporter stock and has a williams sight or something like that on the barrel. It is the original barrel though it may have been blued at some point because it looks pretty good. The rifling is excellent. Any thing else you can tell me. It looks like something on the floorplate has been x'd out. There is also some really small letters and numbers, I think 6 digits stamped 4 times in a row on the right side of the forward receiver ring. Thanks

Posts: 31 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BB,

You can find Quality Mausers for less but you'll have to look around a little, especially if you want either of the two calibers mentioned. The Yugo model 48s will prove to be too short.

An 03 Turk would work but with Turks you're never really sure of what you are getting until you've got it.

The rifle you have found would be fine for either chambering and for even more powerful if desired. That assumes of course that it hasn't been butchered to bad. The 660 code represents Steyr in Austria and obviously, it was built in 1940. Double check the serial # on the bolt. If it matches great. and may give a bit more value. If it doesn't - no big deal since you'll rebarrel it anyway.

As for options, You may be able to run across a Czech VZ-24 for a bit less than $150. They sold to FFL holders for around $80 but are all but gone now. 1909 Argentines have always been desired for custom work but mostly just because it has a hinged floorplate. There's nothing else special about them.

Personally, I'd steer clear of anything Spanish.

Back to the Steyr, has the bolt handle been replaced or the original bent one still there? Drilled and tapped for scope? make sure that was done correctly and you won't have your scope pointing off in left field.

See if you can get it for $110 or so if everything checks out. There is an obscene markup in those pawn shops.

Let us know how you make out.

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By your description that might be a model G29/40, an uncommon K-98 variant that was used by the Luftwaffe. If the metal has not been badly molested, it would be worth buying it and looking for the properly marked stock (or unmarked and properly styled) to go with it. Once you assemble it, you could probably sell it as a representative specimen and have a decent start on a good 98 action and some of the gunsmithing fees...

I personally like the Czech actions - they are better finished than any of the later German actions.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You did ok. I, just yesterday sold a very clean 1909
action only at a gun show for $250.00 cash.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

The serial #s on the barrel and receiver match but are only four digits long and it has the letter i under the #.

The IMPORTANT SN match is between the numbers on the RECEIVER and the BOLT. But the price is right!