New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help ID'ing This Stevens Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 38-55 Stevens rifle a customer dropped off and I have no idea what model it is although I'm pretty sure it's a 44 or 44 1/2. Is there any way to tell other than from looking at pictures? Thanks

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be either. Here's some help.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=269022

Note the 44 was a swinging block, the 44&1/2 a dropping block. That looks like the best way to decide what you have.

Both a weak actions compared to a falling block like a High Wall.

In the 44, the fit of pins/screws to their mating holes is critical to avoid excess headspace.

Plain base soft lead bullets with TrailBoss will make a nice shooter IF it locks up tight. A tight 44 has a "snap" sound when you close it. Slug the bore as 38-55s varied a great deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The plain 'field'model rifles of each are usually stamped on the front face of the action itself with '44' or '44 1/2' as the case may be. Take the forend off and just look at the frame just under the bbl.
FWIW,,there's also an '044 1/2' actioned rifle.
A slightly lighter framed edition of the 44 1/2. It uses a smaller diameter bbl thread too. Those are quite rare.

IF the rifle is one of the higher grades of one of the Model 44 or Model 44 1/2,,then that number stamped into the action face will most likely be the High Grade Model designation (45, 46, 52, ect). Those grades were used in both model series so that info in itself won't help distinguish which action type it is. But it'd be great to have a higher grade rifle!

The 44 is a cast steel action. Carefull looking at the inner walls and you can see the cast surfaces. The 44 1/2 is a drop forged steel machined action,,no castings used.

The 44 'L' shaped tilting block vs the 44 1/2 'dropping block' is the quickest way to determine which is which as stated above if you're familiar with that.

Those are the only Stevens single shot actions I can think of that the 38-55 was offered in.
Several different Rifle model numbers used the same action, especially the Mod 44.