Find
Notify
Tools

Leather covered pad and rust blue questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
Has anyone tried to cover the ultra soft recoil pads (Kick-Eez) with leather? I really like how they soak up recoil on the big guns but they are a little wimpy for rough field use.
I hear it�s �too difficult� but has anyone tried it?

I�ve rust blued a couple sets of double rifle barrels but I don�t hear about anyone rust bluing and a barreled bolt action. Are there just too many nooks and crannies to get good (even) application/coverage or to get it fully degreased?
It seems like it could be stripped of everything but the barrel and raw action and then boiled enough to degrease it. If you ended up with streaks inside the action from uneven application it wouldn�t be the end of the world (it�s for myself, not a customer). Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Kyler---

A leather covered pad is usually done on a hard rubber pad because it's easier and they last much longer. (I worked on a Jeffery 500 that had a pad covered in 1911 not long ago). The gooey pads flex so much the leather starts to flake and crack from being overworked.

Bolt actions have been rust blued since they were invented and most custom makers still do it......in fact, last week-end I looked at more than 200 new custom rifles that were rust blued just like they've been for more than a century.

In my opinion its the very best combination of beauty and durability. Go to The ACGG web site and ask for a Directory of Member's Services to find a rust bluer near you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug Turnbull is the finest rust bluer that I know off..He did a fantastic job for me just recently on my Holland and Holland 375 project.

Kathy Yale in Yellow Jacket Colorado does a great job of covering recoil pads...

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote