New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-14 Enfield stamped "D P"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Eddystone P14 action which is stamped "D P" on top of the receiver, on the floorplate and on the trigger guard. All of the other inspection and arsenal stamps appear as would be expected.

Anyone have an explanation for this marking (that is not XXX rated)? I suppose it could be "Drill Purpose", and my second guess is that it was someone's misguided attempt to mark their territory with their initials.

Thanks,

Steve

[ 06-20-2003, 19:11: Message edited by: Need Just 1 More Gun ]

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that it indeed stands for "Drill Purpose." I don't know whether such actions are safe and usable or not. As I recall, the barrels were plugged on these rifles to make them unusable.

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Drill Purpose" is correct.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I don't know whether such actions are safe and usable or not. As I recall, the barrels were plugged on these rifles to make them unusable."

I bought five several years ago. I made sporters out of them. They worked fine. The actions were not damaged, other than the "DP" on some. Some were not defaced. I is my understanding that they were useable rifles that had the barrel destroyed with the bolt across the chamber. They marked everyting in sight "DP". They also put a red stripe on the stock. The bores in mine were bright. The finish on the metal and wood varied. One was really nice, one was pretty bad, the others were in between. I think they were rifles that were not standard SMLE type and were therefore used for drill.

[ 06-20-2003, 20:56: Message edited by: scot ]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Drill Purpose actions are as good as any other Enfields. I just rebarreled my Eddystone DP to .450 Marlin. They are good actions, strong and affordable.

Posts: 35 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 23 March 2002Reply With Quote