Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted
I have a Model 70 in .416 Remington that has just developed a malfunction. The magazine holds three rounds. When cycling the bolt, the very last round will not stay in the rails for the bolt to grab it. The last round just pops out. This happens even if I just put one round in.

I am thinking it could be the magazine spring and will replace it.

Anybody have any other ideas?

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because it's popping the last round up and out of the box, it sounds like the spring is okay. If it was working fine before and now it is not, did you have it out of the stock and put the mag box back incorrectly. It could also be a follower problem. Was this rifle a different caliber in a former life?

I have a M700 that the customer brought in because it was not feeding right. I looked and the customer failed to seat the mag box correctly.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing, but a different follower solved it.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I am also replacing the follower and hope either the spring or the follower will solve the problem. I have not had the magazine box out but it was originally a .375 then rebarreled for the .416.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30ott6:
Thanks guys. I am also replacing the follower and hope either the spring or the follower will solve the problem. I have not had the magazine box out but it was originally a .375 then rebarreled for the .416.

John

The .416 Rem is basically an "Improved" case with much wider shoulders than the fast tapered .375 H&H case. I think you will find your problem will be with the follower. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Malm- I think you are right. I borrowed a spring and follower from a 300 Win Mag and put that in the rifle. It functions just fine. Will order both a new spring and follower.

Thanks all for the help.

John