Notify
Tools

Ballpark cost of model 70 floor plate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
For a long-action one piece?

Don't want to spend an arm and a leg, just something that is solid, handsome, and will wear well.

Blued.

Thanks for the help!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say "floorplate" do you mean the whole unit?

If so, you have a few options.

1. Blackurn makes a very nice one. They are $360.

2. Williams makes a very nice one. They are about $200

3. Winchester now makes one for their new rifles. But I am told that they do not sell the parts.

You of course have to decide what your "arm and leg" are worth.

One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
4. Sound Metal Products makes a very nice one too. They are $365.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting the entire trigger guard assembly or just the floor plate for a long action?

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Williams Firearms makes the complete, one-piece guard and floorplate in Chrome-Moly or SS for about $165. I have owned two of each type, the one Winchester was using in their custom shop and the Oberndorf style with the release in the bow. They were very well made and not too pricey

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Williams does not make SS anymore. I just ordered a LA M70 unit last Friday. In the white, shipped was $179. For matter black, add, I think, $35 and $30 for polish blued.

On another note, I'm pretty sure that Matt Williams is supplying the "new" M70 bottom metal. I know for sure that he played a part in the new rifles, with the exception of the new trigger. That, IMHO, is the only mistake they've made on the SC M70.

DW

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x2mosg:
I'm pretty sure that Matt Williams is supplying the "new" M70 bottom metal.

DW

I'm pretty sure they aren't.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may be right. I know Matt was discussing it on 24hourcampfire at one point, but not sure what became of that deal. Regardless, the Williams stuff is pretty nice, especially at the price.

Duane's stuff is better, I have no doubt. I've got metal for my Mexican Mauser on order now.

Thanks,

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everyone!

What I have on-hand is the original 2 piece trigger guard & floorplate from a mid-80's vintage model 70 long action (pushfeed .270). It's from my original "lightweight" stock.

I just bought a new featherweight stock - factory finished. The seller's note on gunbroker highlighted that he thought a "one-piece" floor plate would be necessary. He wasn't completely sure.

I'll take a look at the Williams site if mine won't fit. Might even get a new one, as the wood is pretty nice, and my old floorplate is a little dinged up.

Thanks!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote