Find
Notify
Tools

Need a bit of help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 300shooter
posted
I just got a Mod.70 Classic in 300 Winny and it shoots 15"low@100yds. and the scope I have is a Burris FF2 with Target knobs and its out of movement, I have Shim'ed the rear base 0.050" and it is now shooting great . the question is, Is there a set of bases that fit the classics that are Different then the ones that Leupold sells that has a taller rear base??? or is there a nother set of bases that I need to get ???

Thanks in Advance
300shooter

Posts: 717 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
That's a hard question to answer. If you had to shim it .015", then there are two immediate possibilities. One, the rear receiver bridge is out of spec; Two, the rear base is out of spec. About the only way you could check is to measure the heighth of the bridge on you rifle and compare it to another Model 70. Easier, would be to measure another set of bases to see whether or not the rear base is too short. After that, the possibilities are too gross to contemplate.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How old is the rifle? There is a difference in scope bases for serial numbers above and below 66350.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300shooter
posted Hide Post
I Beleive the rifle was made in 2000 but I will have to sheck on that. the Bases are Made for Above 66350. the Number is G3639** So I have no idea whats going on with this rifle .

I have a Smith thats going to remove 0.050 off the front base so it will be right .

300shooter

Posts: 717 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote