Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic stock for custom pre-64
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a stock for my 30-338 pre 64 sporting rifle. I am looking at the Rimrock, but I remember someone here saying that the pistol grip was skinny. I do not like the slender, swept pistol grips of the big bores. I acually like the original monte carlo in every way except the drop at heel. Does any body out there have a Rimrock pre 64 stock, or any help?
Thank you, Doug

<9.3x62>
posted
Take a look at McMillan stocks. Top notch product...

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/winchester.html

There also make a few Sako-style stocks for the model 70...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rimrock fitted to a 7X64 P64. You will probably not enjoy this stock on a 30-338. The recoil pad is narrow and the stock is light.

It is fine for my needs, but I think you might want something a bit meatier. It is a very nicely laid out stock with graceful lines.

Pete

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a rimrock on my m70 300 win mag and the recoil isn't that bad.. my problem with the grip is the placement of the comb, too close to the grip for big hands...i also have a number of uns in brown precision stocks & really like their grip..i would not buy any new stock without first holding 1 in a rifle..if you are near Atlanta you can try 1 of mine..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the feedback. I have a Brown Prec. on one rifle, but had to fill in the swept grip (worse on pre 64's...I think they use the same mould as newer M70...triggr is .375 foward) so that my lower fingers can pull back the stock. As shipped, it was like chokeing a chicken (thumb and middlefinger)to pull the rifle back. The McMillian's are are either copy's on pre 64's, or based on the new M70 (same problem as Brown).

I used to shoot Highpower Rifle, and really use the pistol grip. I like to get a balanced pull into the shoulder (1/2 with forarm, 1/2 with pistol grip, and my trigger finger set up for a sraight back pull on the trigger. The factory stocks do this well, but the drop of heel makes for a low butt plate in the shoulder in prone. If it comes to it, I may get a Mac. and modify it like my Brown. Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have pre-64 M-70's in 308 and 35 Whelen in Rimrock stocks. They are light, beautiful and delightful to shoot, especially if you're in a hurry. They remind me of a 30-'s vintage Rigby stock with the comb raised for a scope.

That said, I doubt it's the best choice for a fast magnum, especially if you like a full pistol grip. Send me a PM if you're near Seattle and you can try mine.

Hope this helps, Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
the macmillian sako copy may be what you want..i have 1 of those in a Remington 700..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote