New
Find
Notify
Tools

order of work on Masuer reciever?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If the inner stop ring lapping fixture locates on the theads, and then the madrel locates on the inner stop ring, this gets the inner and outer parrallel as a depth mike can measure.

Should the bolt lugs be lapped first?
TIA

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<George Stringer>
posted
Clark, I use this order. True the receiver face, then the bolt face, then lap the lugs. By the inner stop ring do you mean the recess that bears agains the locking lugs or the primary torque shoulder. And if you meant the shoulder what fixture are you using to true it. This is a fixture I haven't seen and would be interested in learning about. Sounds much faster and easier than setting up to true the shoulder in the lathe. George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that the Mausers are case hardened (with exception of some newer commercial actions) and removing a few thou extra gets you below the case, leading to galling of the lugs, etc. We are not building a under 0.100" benchrest gun with a Mauser, keep this in mind when working over a Mauser action for a hunting rifle, or a under 50 yard DGR. Long term realibility and smoothiness of feeding are the key items to work for. Truing the front ring and inner shoulder are OK but be cautious on the lugs.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

My Warden sometimes allows me to respond to email. NEW Address is rifles@earthlink.net

***********Jail Flash*******
Web site under construction: http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote