New
Find
Notify
Tools

Necessary Ring Height
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do you figure how high a ring to use to properly fit a scope? I have a .308Win on a Rem40X with a 30.40mm diameter barrel and want to use a scope with a 56mm objective whose outside diameter is 68.9mm. I prefer Leupold componants. How high a ring should I use?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Leupold has a chart on their site that is supposed to tell you what rings to get.

Leupold Mount Selector

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With those figures, the answer is about as tall as you can find. The more important question is, "How far is my head going to have to be off of the stock in order to see through the scope?"

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the mount selector from Leupy and it shows nothing but low rings. This can't be right. Can it???

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you are ging to have to use very high rings with a 56mm scope no way around it.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't use the mount selector properly the first time. I selected the wrong scope. This time around I am being pointed towards high. I'll probably get high and super high and see what works.

I couldn't find the mount selector on their website.??

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I couldn't find the mount selector on their website.??

I just searched for "Leupold Mount Selector" but if you go to www.leupold.com. and click "Hunting and Shooting" and then "Resources" at the bottom, the "Mount Selector" link will be on the right-hand side.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote