Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser action identity
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
I have a standard length, large ring, small thread, .630” shank length action. Due to the shank length I assumed it was a Turk/Kale, but the thread relief cut is to the small thread major OD. I read the K. Kale action thread relief cut was done to large thread major OD.

What do I have?

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it standard length screw space AND standard length bolt?

Send me an email, preferably with a picture or two.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just pulled out 5 Turk 38 actions. I have removed the integral hand guard retaining lip from them all; this is a salient feature of the Turk. Shank length is no different than any other 98. .625 or so. Make sure you aren't measuring any of that lip that might still be there. Threads are of course, .980 OD, and yes, they are counterbored at the inner end, to major thread diameter. I don't know where you read that Turks were counterbored to 1.1; that would make no sense. You might be thinking about the small ring, large thread Kar98 in which they cut the thread relief larger than 1.1 and the rings get a bit thin on top. But I have used a lot of Turks.
Does it have a serial number on the left side of the ring? It should, and they vary in style.
You should post picture here so we can all learn.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I guess the information I read was wrong. There is no serial number on the left side of the ring. Only on underside of action.

Gun is actually an early German sporting rifle in 9.3x62…or rather was. Bore was pitted and we are rebarreling to 6.5x55.

Standard bolt length and spacing.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
An early German sporting rifle would not likely have been a Turk 38 action. NM can speak to that but I don't know how that could happen. Early, as in pre 1930s, the Ottoman Empire, then after 1923, Turkey, was using all their rifles and making more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action is a Mauser Oberndorf commercial action, these were produced prior to WWI, standard screw spacing, standard bolt, large ring, small thread.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D, on those actions do you use the inner ring as the primary torque surface and the receiver face as secondary or does the barrel shoulder just "kiss" the receiver?

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I just pulled out 5 Turk 38 actions. I have removed the integral hand guard retaining lip from them all; this is a salient feature of the Turk. Shank length is no different than any other 98. .625 or so. Make sure you aren't measuring any of that lip that might still be there. Threads are of course, .980 OD, and yes, they are counterbored at the inner end, to major thread diameter. I don't know where you read that Turks were counterbored to 1.1; that would make no sense. You might be thinking about the small ring, large thread Kar98 in which they cut the thread relief larger than 1.1 and the rings get a bit thin on top. But I have used a lot of Turks.
Does it have a serial number on the left side of the ring? It should, and they vary in style.
You should post picture here so we can all learn.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes a good old WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A-G OBENDORF a/n action.

Have one of those sitting here in my lap, a full length, large ring, small thread receiver that uses a Standard bolt and guard screw spacing.
This customers action has all matching numbers in the 57,xxx range

Will be building up a 275 Rigby on it for the customer, open sights only with a cocking piece peep sight
NO Scope what so ever, as he does not want to touch the factory Single Square Rear Bridge on the receiver

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bob, yes, the Turk barrels are like any other 98; they bear only on the inner ring. The reason they wanted small threads is that they had a lot of 93 Mausers and this way they only had to make one barrel size for spares.
JW, is the action you are talking about the OP's? Marked as described?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No the action is not the OP's.

I have I have known this customer about 5 - 6 years, and he has had this SSB Obendorf action during this time frame.
Finally My customer has got to a point in his life that he wanted to stop hunting with a UGLY gun.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ah, ok. I don't. blame him. At some point you want to impress your hunting buddies with a nice custom piece.
Back to Bob's question, I cut 98 shanks to bear on the inner shoulder, and then make the shank length .003 longer so as to have the barrel touch the ring, but not bear too much. For cosmetic reasons. They don't have to touch at all, as in Mauser military barrels, don't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know where you read that Turks were counterbored to 1.1; that would make no sense.

I have read the same thing, I don’t recall where. Glad to see it's not true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
The action is a Mauser Oberndorf commercial action, these were produced prior to WWI, standard screw spacing, standard bolt, large ring, small thread.

Are all the early Oberndorf commercial large ring actions small thread?

...and if not is there a way to tell which size threads it has without removing the barrel?

Posts: 49 | Location: Plymouth, MA | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No. And if you remove all the markings, and the hand guard lip from the Turk, you can't tell them from any other 98 large ring either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with inner ring taking the pressure,,,outer ring touching...

But..when I build a take down, I go through great pains to make equal pressure...the reason: The barrel is hand tight so all the support available is there to use.

Make sense?

years ago, I experimented with outer ring pressure only....then inner ring pressure...Could not tell one damn bit of difference in accuracy....but then again, I do not torque to 600 ft lbs! One time is not proof of anything. Just an observaion.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes it makes sense; it also does not make any difference where the barrel contacts. Inner, outer, both.