Find
Notify
Tools

Berreta 96 40S&W to .357sig
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted
I posted this question under pistol shooting but didn't receive any answers, maybe a little more exposure in the correct place will help..

Several years ago I purchased a barrel replacement for the Berreta 96 in 357Sig. I mentioned it on one of the forums and was told not to use the barrel, as I could do some nasty things to the 96' and possibly myself.

Is the problem that the Berreta isn't strong enough. Or would the addition of a spring of correct weight fix the problem?

I did run a box of 357sig thru the pistol with no problem, I think I put an 18# (heavy) spring in the weapon at the time.

Any comments or ideas, I haven't used the barrel since and won't unless I can find some answers.

Thanks, Mike

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 96 is not known for being robust and the .357 Sig is known for being hard on guns. If you do the math, it quickly starts to look like a bad idea. Too much pressure, slide velocity, and force banging things around with the .357 for the Beretta design. If you want a .357 Sig, I would suggest getting a gun chambered in it from the factory.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Marc_Stokeld -- Marc I find it hard to believe that the Beretta 96 (same frame and slide as the Military model) isn't regarded as very rugged and strong. Being used by many many police, sheriff, and military units world wide?

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm sorry the 96's have a reputation of not holding up well when subjected to a lot of rounds. For one thing, there is a world of difference between the 9 and the .40 and .357 when you touch off the primer. ANd if you remember back in the mid-80's when the Berreta was chosen to replace the .45 (ONLY because it was cheaper than the Sig 226 that won the military trials by the way!) the 92's had a nasty habit of coming apart and hitting people in the face with the slide after it broke. THe changed the slide and locking design or something (been a long time since I paid any attention to it) and it started working much better in the 9mm. But it is still a weaker design and the additional battering and forces of the .40 were too much for reliable service. Ever wonder why the police forces who issued the 92 did not move en masse to the 96? After seeing durability issues, they flocked to GLock. Police forces going to 9's today usually go with Glock or Sig. I have not heard a big berreta contract in a very long time, but then I also am not in a position to be up on those things. It may have happened, who knows. I have heard of a ton of Glock and Sig orders from big departments who evaluated pistols based on many fatcors, durability being a major one.

I have never heard any gunsmith, armorer, or heavy shooter who put the Berretas in the same league as Sig or Glock and the like when it came to holding up over time. The 96 is a particularly bad offender due to the added forces mentioned above. Ever wonder why Glock never chambered the .357 SIg in the 96 when it was the "cool" cartridge? It has even more slide velocity and force than the .40, thus making it even harder on the guns. If th e96 had durability issues with the .40, they would have been even worse with the .357 Sig.

I'm really sorry if you don't like it. Seriously. But it was not me out there shooting the 96's into their eraly graves. If you don't shoot much you will be fine. If you want the .357 Sig barrel in there, go ahead and do it. It is your gun and we still live in a free country, so do as you wish. You asked for input and I only gave it to you because you said no one else spoke up.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Marc- I don't have any intention of shooting the .357sig barrel, I simply wanted to know why I was told not to use it. I see your explanation and accept it.
Your probably correct on the durability issues. I'll pass the post on to the Berreta forum and see what kind of response I get.

Thanks, Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 357 Sig barrel which I used in a Taurus 99 (briefly) and subsequently in a 101.

The weak link in the Beretta system is the locking block, which is the same in every Beretta 92/96, Taurus 92/99, and all variants of both models. The additional case head area of the 40 puts more pressure on the block and the 357 with its higher pressure puts even more. I was surprised the 101 block lasted as long as it did (about 200 rounds). During that time it was quite accurate, 100% reliable, and produced outstanding velocities.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AI22-250, I have a glock 22 in 40 with a 357 sig barrel and I have put around 150 rounds through it without any problems at all.
I have had several sig 229's with the 357 barrels with the same results. One of the sigs had close to 1000 rounds of 357 through it.
Heres a picture of the present glock

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote