New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-barreling a savage model 10
 Login/Join

<ranb>
posted
I am considering changing the barrel on my savage 10 fcm in 308 to 358 win using an Adams & Bennett Barrel Savage 110 Series 358 Winchester Factory Contour barrel. While the swap seems to be rather straight forward, I was wondering if anyone here had done it.

The only thing holding me back right now is the barrel profile. I was hoping to find a slim sporter type barrel instead of the heavy barrel. This heavy barrel will add almost two pounds to the weight of the rifle. Any options? Thanks.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
ranb
Since the short cut chamber doesn't save us anything in particular, we just start with a A&B F99 contour unthreaded blank (A&B doesnt offer contoured blanks over 30 caliber) and turn it down to what the customer wants for contour. We then chamber it for his cartridge selection. Most any good shop could do this for you.

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked with savageparts.com? They ordered a bunch of different barrels from Savage, but I don't know if the 358 was one of them. I bought a 7-08 factory contour barrel from them in October. Might be worth an email to them. Just a thought. Ken

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the .358 Win is a heavy barrel? It says factory contour right?

If you do a search of this forum you will come up with the advice and a tool list. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the midwaybarrel is sold as a FULL chamber on the savage, due to the barrel nut...

the A&B is not going to be THAT much heavier than the factory, and you'll want it

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<ranb>
posted
My savage 10 fcm has a slim 20" barrel that tapers down to about 0.56" at the muzzle. The rifle is 6.2 pounds. Nice and light to carry in the woods. I want to keep it that way. I also have a savage 12 varmit rifle whose barrel tapers off to 0.83", it is much heavier at least 8 pounds. Mounting an F99 contour barrel that has no taper and is 1.2" thick all the way (26") is going to make it into a HEAVY gun. No way I want to drag it into the woods. I can handle a 510 whisper shooting a 950 grain bullet out of a TC encore, shooting a 225 grain bullet out of a 6.5 rifle will be no problem.

The MidwayUSA.com website has the factory contour barrel, so I guess it has a bit of taper to it. I checked www.savageparts.com, but no 358 cal barrels. Thanks for the info guys.

Ranb