New
Find
Notify
Tools

TRG-S...a long time coming
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The emperor has a new suit of clothes and they look dandy. Gone is the crack-filled of plastic. Come see us at booth 8729, at the Shot.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks great Rod. What's that conversion cost, if you don't mind my asking? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a fine looking weapon. That's what they should have looked like from the factory. Did you add an aftermarket recoil lug? Has all your work improved it's accuracy?

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Conversion cost depends on what is desired in the stock. Runs about $700, including bottom metal for A-grade wood, basic checkering and the bottom metal kit.

Could run as high as $2000 for a full-house special selection stock with all the frills. Lots of steps in between.

McMillan can do it also as they have our bottom metal kits.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We install a recoil lug into the receiver slot. This is then bedded into the stock using copious reinforcing with MarineTex. The recoil lug has been tested for the last four years in an 8mm Rem Mag pushing 220gr bullets at 3000fps. Works good. The rifle is a 3/4 MOA shooter.

one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Good looking bullet launcher. I know you always want to showcase in photos the best angles but do you have any pics of the top of stock looking straight down on the comb and the bottom looking straight up on the forearm? Basically I'm looking to see how obvious the laminations are.

Thanks,
Dennis

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The degree to which the lamination shows is HUGELY variable stock to stock. Over the years (15 of them) ACRAbond did this process, at least six people laminated blanks. While I spend more time color matching than any of my predecessors, it's still an inexact process (cosmetically speaking). Sometimes the lamination is darn near invisible. This is true where the stock is uniform in color with a lot of figure to hide grain mismatch. Sometimes the colors change radically from toe to heel and it becomes impossible to hide the laminate when reversing a plank. Some folks care more than others about this issue and we try to match expectations with reality.

The following image depicts a rather good job at color matching. You can see the grain interruption along the upper edge of the comb, but just.