New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please, please help! Barrel Threads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i want to thread a 10/22 barrel for 1/2x28 tpi. i do not have a lathe and already have a die and handle [Smile] . do i need a cutting oil? if so,what? how do I do this? Who am I?!?!?!?! [Confused]

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you can thread, what you propose to thread must be perfectly cylindrical or the die will attempt to make it so and it just cannot do a good job of it. I'm going to guess that you must turn the barrel to the major thread diameter in order to get a good threading job on it. A lousy job and you've trashed a barrel. Choose wisely. Yes, you always need cutting oil when threading steel; 10W-30 engine oil works great. Really, anything that will reduce the pressure of the cutting by increasing the "slipperiness" of the material being cut and allow the chips to flow away works. The oil also cools the tool and the work.

[ 07-10-2003, 09:10: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just what in the hell do you plan on screwing that barrel into by the way? A 1/2" thread? The Ruger 10/22 receiver will accept a 3/4" thread if you plan on putting it back into a 10/22. But, to answer your question, yes you do need a lathe to do it correctly and don't use automotive oil!

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote