Find
Notify
Tools

38 Super to 10mm conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I have a Govt Model in 38 Super and was looking at a conversion kit. The kit is a slide, barrel, guide and spring.

Is this a straight swap? Just need mags?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've started with a 1911 45. It worked fine.

9mm,38super = bbl, same slide, ejector, mag, recoil spring.

40/10mm/357sig = bbl, same slide, ejector, mag, recoil spring.

The Delta/Match10mm frame has a bit different feed ramp from the 45acp. I'm not sure of the 38Sup frame.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
The feed ramps on 9/38, 40/10 , and .45 are supposed to be different, with the 9/38 super being the farthest in depth from the slidestop pin.
The 10/40 has a slightly wider breechface opening than the 9/38. They are close enough that manufacturing tolerances can overlap and allow them to work.
Early 10's were built on .38 slides, but tolerances have since been tightened up.

If the 10mm round will fit the breechface, you may be good to go. The feedramp would be the only other issue if at all.

CW

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last time I built one, the ejector for the Super and the 10 were the same and the slides were different.

Be aware that there are three firing pin diameters. Almost slide maker uses the largest one for 45 ACP. Varies by maker for other chamberings.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote