THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floorplate release stuck down on Weatherby Mk V?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some years ago, I bought a Weatherby Mk V off a fellow ARer. Much against my preferences and without consulting me he sent it in 2 pieces, stock and action. So it's been sitting in the box for a while and I finally decided it would take up less room put together. Long story short, when I release floorplate with the release on front of trigger guard to take pressure off of stock screws, the release stuck down and I can't figure out how to get it loose. Obviously with it stuck down the floorplate won't lock into position. Did I mention I don't like floorplate releases? Any advice or any recs for a gunsmith, preferably in the DFW or NE Texas area would be appreciated. I've tapped, pried, etc and nothing happens. If I go any further, in my ignorance, something is going to break or get scratched which I would prefer not to happen. There is a roll pin which seems to hold the release in place. Should I punch it out and hope for the best? Help!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Have to use inertia to make it pop back up; whack it with a plastic hammer. I mean whack the surrounding metal, carefully. If you have already pried and made a ding or burr in it or the hole, then it can be drilled, tapped, and pulled out. Most likely when you drill it, it will come loose on it's own.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to put some penetrating oil on it, let it sit for a day or two and try your rec. Thanks, the only problem is the surrounding metal is the trigger guard. So far I haven't let any marks but patience is not my strong suit. If the damn stock wasn't a nice custom, I'd just use the old southern fix and duct tape it in place. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that part of the rifle is called a jaw - show it a picture of biebs blaser and it will drop open out of shock

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Knock out the pin and work the latch free again.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try putting it in the freezer. Sometimes the metal
will contract enough to free the plunger.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I used the gunsmith shop at the Frisco Gun Club to do some work on a rifle for me and they did it when promised for the estimated amount.

They cut down a synthetic stock, put on a new Pachmayr pad, and installed a new trigger.

Haven't used anyone else local in a long time.

I have not had any problems with my Mark V but have not shot it much recently. No clue what the problem might be.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of times a little oil on a hard moving part works wonders.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote