Notify
Tools

Another Mauser pic request
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Gentlemen,

Since Tex21 started this I may as well horn in. I just had this stock duplicated but need some visual aids to help in deciding how to treat the "shelf" if you will where the bolt stop/release resides. The original treatment on this stock was obliterated when it was modified to allow the use of the Lyman #35 sight. I need to build this area back up on my pattern stock and could use some ideas much like Tex21 needed.

Thanks.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Bondo that area the way you want it on the pattern stock.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I know that much. What I'm looking for is ideas of how it should look. I've got several Mausers and all have it done slightly differently. Problem is, none seem appropriate for this stock and I can't visualize what would look right.

Thanks.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
z1r,

build it up like Chic did on this G33/40. I dont know how you could go wrong if you scalloped yours the same way. Borrowing someone elses design is the biggest form of flattery thumb

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like the pistol grip area rounded up to the bolt stop where it forms the shelf, fairly simple. I assume you won't be using the Lyman 35 on the new stock.

Here's a stock by Scott Green with the shelf built up and accented:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a whole series of pictures of a very nice custom Mauser at www.golmatic.de

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents.

Fla3006, correct, the Lyman sight will be staying on the original which I'll be converting to 9.3x62.

The duplicate will be for my .30-06 "mountain" rifle. It will be sporting a 24" Shilen #1 bbl. The original stock weighed in at a svelte 1.75 lbs which I'm hoping to duplicate. The "shelf" in your top pic is probably the one that will fit in best with the trim lines of this stock. The one in the bottom pic is typically how I do mine.

Alvinmack, that is indeed a nice way to treat the Lyman sight. Too bad I'm leaving the sight on that rifle.

-Z

Aut vincere aut mori