THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Question on contouring Mauser actions in a knee mill...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on contouring Mauser actions in a knee mill...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not alter the bases to the receiver instead of altering he receiver to the bases?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Why not alter the bases to the receiver instead of altering he receiver to the bases?

coffee 98% of the time that is what is done. I made the fly cutter and jig to hold them about 25 years ago and twice a year I sit down at the mill and knock out 1/2 dozen #55 and #45 Weaver bases. Some years ago we were selling a lot of Zeiss scopes and for one reason or another I ended up calling Zeiss EU to ask them what I should do about the scratches on the cheap powdercoat paint on their scopes. Their answer to the problem was touching them up with a felt pen. So, I figured if it was good enough for Zeiss, it was good enough for me and I just tough up the bases with a felt pen after cutting them.

Gunsmith Rod Henrickson 55Stripper by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote