New
Find
Notify
Tools

High wall Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would there be any issues with chambering a .416 Rigby on a High Wall action? I know there would be an extractor issue with it, but was curious about the strength.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t build a Rigby on an original action, but one of the modern copies like the Browning would be fine; just don’t ask me to fire it. The large amount of drop at the heel required by the 1885 design makes recoil and muzzle flip much worse, at least for me it does.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John! You are correct if you build on the original pattern, but if using a pistol grip and a higher comb line you can deal with some of that flip. Doesn't look bad either.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do the math the chamber walls are mighty thin (I get very close to .125"). A little better with a more recent Winchester/Browning 1885s (the threads are finer), but still probably below what any gunsmith would call safe.