Find
Notify
Tools

338-06 barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted
ive got a 338-06 barrel that 24'' long and i wana put it on a savage stiker. how short can it but cut before its to short for usfullness. ive seen data for 22'' before. thanks jason

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Twenty-two inches is a perfect balance for any standard cased cartridge(non-magnum). It also having a large "bore to case-capacity" ratio, a 20 or 20.5 inch barrel lenglth would still be pretty efficient for ample velocity.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
On a striker? That's a PISTOL... and you have to keep it under 16", or it "becomes" a carbine, and lots of paper work.

So,
15.8" from the bolt face to the end of the barrel (use a dowel to measure) is pretty safe, or stay around 14" like the striker is.

I have a striker in 708, and 14" , no brake, and loose ~200-250fps vs a 22" barrel on my wife's 708 mauser.

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
if you look at the current t/c catollog it has a picture a a person with a animal they shoot holding a t/c encore handgun with one of there 24 inch barrels. jason

<Varmint Hunter>
posted
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want a hangun with a 24" barrel. I would image that a good speed holster would cost quite a bit of cash. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with Jeffe's assessment of the regulations. The Gun Control Act prohibits one from possessing a rifle (denoted by having a stock for being fired from the shoulder) with barrel shorter than 16 inches or total length less than 26 inches, but seems to be silent on the allowable barrel length for handguns. However, if you plan on going beyond 16 inch barrel length you may want to personally review the federal definitions of handguns and rifles and the regulations governing conversion of one to the other. You can visit any FFL and review their copy of the current Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide or pick one up at the nearest BATFE office.

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Varmint Hunter:
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want a hangun with a 24" barrel. I would image that a good speed holster would cost quite a bit of cash. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Look at what state he's from, pretty much explains it to me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BIGBORE- I've got a 16"(includeing break)Encore barrel in 338-06JDJ(which is a little more cartdridge than the standard 338-06)and it will do 2600fps with 200gr Ballistics tips,the break takes about 1 and 1/4 inches off the barrel. This may give you some ideal of the velocity you may get with a shorter barrel.
Albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
thanks guys i was thinking of 180-225gr range and ya indiana is pretty cool. i like big handguns i can honestly say or i wouldnt have a 50ak. jason

<ol crip>
posted
[Frown] Hey Guys, what's with the bad mouth about long handgun barrels? I have several XP and XPR 100s with long barrels. 708 on a 18 1/2 inch bbl. 243 win. on a 20 inch with 2 stocks that switches it from a model 7 to an xpr100. and a 308 with a 20 inch bbl. on an xp100. They all knock the life out of antalope like they were hammers. They are fun to play with. My next one will be a 222rem from an older model seven with a 18 1/2 inch bbl. and will recieve a new xpr100 stock. It will be a ball on praire dogs.

If a firearm originated as a rifle it must have a minimum of 18 inch bbl. and overall lenght of 26 inches. If it originated as a handgun the sky is the limit for bbl. lenght. [Wink]