New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enfield safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trying to re-install the military issue safety on a Remington 1917. Is there a trick to compressing the spring loaded plunger and getting the safety shaft in? I was trying to push it back with a scratch awl as close the the edge as I could, yet it kept getting in the way. Do I just need to keep fiddling around until I get lucky and catch the edge, or is there some secret?

Does my question make sense?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, your question makes sense. This is how I do this. It takes a second to get it to go together.

Take off the safety lock holder at the back of the safety. I assume that you have already done this.

Use a screwdriver, or other small tool to depress the safety plunger through the hole at the back of the safety housing. Push the safety in through it's hole in the side. It will go in a little, make sure that the larger ring of the safety is in the hole in the housing.

With the safety lever pointed about straight up, you can use a smaller driver or small punch to depress the plunger further from the back. I use a 1/32" pin punch.

You will have the smaller tool going through the notch on the end of the safety that cams into the cocking piece. Keep side pressure on the safety and it will eventually snap into place.

One thing that helps is to file the plunger a little to give it a bevel to help the safety push over it. File one side only.

Then put the safety lock holder back on.

This is how I do it. If there is a trick, I would be interested to hear it as well.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is the way I do it and it is easier and doesn't take 3 hands; Put the plunger in and force it forward with a punch or screwdriver. Take a small pair of vise grips (or pliers if you have a good grip) and grab the shaft. Drop in the safety lever. Done. Oh, remove the vise grips.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote