Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser action rankings
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
G33/40 and the 1910 Mexican are highly sought after.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drop a dime on Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on Mauser actions, it pretty well contains the straight poop on them.

However, for a layman's viewpoint, consider this:

Most all European manufactured 98 actions are basically the same metallurgically, excepting the Spanish made examples, which tend to be soft. Ludwig Lowe basically owned all the Mauser production facilities in Germany either outright or with heavy investment. The Czechs secured license rights to the 98 design and made them, some say, with superior materials. Superior or not, they are damned good. The Swede's stayed with the modified 93 design, called it a model 96 and from where I am looking from, used the very best of materials and workmanship in their products, fit and finish is superb. This action lacks the third safety lug and cocks on closing. Regardless what is told, I feel it's strength is well within the zone of most anything. The Swede's chambered many of their military target rifles in 308 and I haven't read of any catastrophic failures as a result.

The Argentine model 1909 was made with a hinged floorplate like a sporter action and is highly osught after because of this. My feelings are that the German made versions are top drawer but the Argentine produced ones are lacking....fit and finish is ho-hum. I have used 6 german versions of the 1909 for sporters and have been well served by them. I have also utilized several VZ24's (Czech) and they are excellent as well. On a whim, I even used a Chinese made action and it had a very deep case hardening and performed yeoman duty, no failures at all.

Any old Mauser action you buy is liable to exhibit varying degrees of wear and abuse. For the most part, if it looks good and is complete, it should work well. Look for a pitted bolt face, which is evidence of primer leakage using corrosive ammo....most will show some of this and a slight pitting can be cleaned up easily. However, heavy pitting should be avoided. Obviously, an action that shows heavy external pitting below the woodline should be avoided. South American Mausers used in that humid climate are noted for this. I have seen some actions yanked out of the stock that looked as if they had never been out of the wood since they were manufactured and almost perforated with rust. a matching bolt is a plus, but not necessary if you are rebarreling because headspace will be reestablished with the new barrel. In closing, I'll add one thing; when you boil the fat out of it, you're better off to buy a new Zastava or Charles Daly (same maker in Yugo) barreled action and be done with it. Everything is brand new, their barrels are excellent quality and it's blued and drilled/tapped and of course, has a hinged floorplate and sporter boilt handle already. These can generally be bought for less than $300 wholesale, if you have a friendly dealer to help you out. You'll sink a lot more than this in a military action bringing it up to the same specs.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some nice rifles made on the Mexican action with a knurled knob cocking piece like a 1903 Springfield, I think it is the 1936?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Step one for getting clarity is to become opinionated, like meSmiler

1) VZ24, 98/22, early German K98, and 1909 Argintene Mauser ALSO THE FN M1924 SUCH AS THE VENEZUELAN, THE 1935 CHILEANS BY OBERNDORF, AND THE SMALL-RING M 98 MEXICANS.< !--color-->
2) Yugo 48 type, 24/47, and Turkish Mausers
3) 94, 96, and 1938 Swedish Mauser
4) 93 Spanish Mauser

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kuhnhausen book lists the different 98 models and tells which ones are "desireable for custom rifles". It doesn't IIRC rank them as best, second best, etc., as the original post asked. I am hoping that Mr. Burgess and other experienced metalsmiths weigh in on this one.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To keep things simple:

Your best bet is a 1930's model from Germany, Czechoslovakia, Austria or Belgium. During this period these manufacturers were competing for contracts and were making top quality rifles.

Rifles made during wartime, or copies made in 3rd world countries, will certainly be of lesser quality. These will have been made under budget restraints.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kuhnhausen's book lists "desireable" and "higly desireable" 98 actions for custom work.

Listed as "highly" are, M1924/30 Venezelan FN Belgian, M1908 Brazil DWM, VZ 24 Brno, G33-40 Brno, M24 Mexican FN.

Listed "desirabe" are, M1909 Argentine DWM, 1936 Mexican FN.

There are others on the list that are "not rated", so to speak. Footnote in book says "table data provided by John Vest and James L. Wisner"

I do believe both men are very well respected in the gunsmithing community.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great information and opines on this thread.
Jumptrap, I would agree with you on the Daly or Zavasta actions.

If you are starting a project and want an action that you won't have to do a lot on to begin with that is the way to go!

Besides Daly What is a source of the Zavasta actions?

Best regards,

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Kuhnhausen's book lists "desireable" and "higly desireable" 98 actions for custom work.

Listed as "highly" are, M1924/30 Venezelan FN Belgian,< !--color--> M1908 Brazil DWM, VZ 24 Brno, G33-40 Brno, M24 Mexican FN.

Listed "desirabe" are, M1909 Argentine DWM, 1936 Mexican FN.

There are others on the list that are "not rated", so to speak. Footnote in book says "table data provided by John Vest and James L. Wisner"

I do believe both men are very well respected in the gunsmithing community.

I always did think that 1924 Venezuelan 7X57 from FN was a pretty good rifle!!

<allen day>
posted
Some of the top riflesmiths I've known have been very partial to the 1909 Argentine Mauser, and it would probably be one of my top choices for a fine custom Mauser.

But the 1935 Chilean is superb, especially if you're out to build a 7X57, and I like the VZ-24 as well.

Of course the VZ-33 and G-33/40 are highly desirable for light rifles, but you really don't save THAT much weight by going with those, and you pay a premium for them.

Good, intelligent riflesmithing is the key to getting the most out of any of them.........

AD

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I think you'd do well to avoid the Charles Daly or Zastava actions. Though essentially copies of the Mark X (they do come from the same plant) metalurgy is suspect and quality too. I was hopeful too that they might be source of actions for those that didn't want to go the traditional route of D&T'ing a milsurp, welding a handle on, etc.

But the samples I handled left much to be desired. Scope base holes were drilled off center. The bolt knob itself is not pleasing with the flat on the rear. Machining is about on par with the Yugo M48's; rough! And should you get a CD receiver with problems don't count on CD to make good, they won't!

You be way better off finding a used commercial FN or JC Higgings FN action instead of a Zastava.

Like Jack Belk once said, "If an action is marked DWM, CZ, Mauser Werkes, or FN, you can be sure it WAS a good action. Unfortunately many have since been ruined by various arsenals, shops and backyard hammer mechanics. There're are MANY more makes that *can* be good actions.....Steyr, Radom, and others made good actions but most have been destroyed by various arsenals after the war.
For best quality custom actions you have to judge actions by what they ARE, not by how they're marked. Matching numbers makes no difference what ever. The quality of the parts is what counts. A bright, sharply marked --Mauser-Werkes, Orbendorf a/n-- on the left rail is a definite bonus. "

I think this sentance is worth repeating: "For best quality custom actions you have to judge actions by what they ARE, not by how they're marked."

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'll provide my prejudices.....er rankings...military '98 mausers only

First is the ones made by J P Sauer in the 1930s to 1943

I had a "43" J P Sauer given to me about 1967 by the neighbors wife after he died. I was 16 @ the time. This was all # matched in battle feild (perhaps unissued) condition.
About a year later I picked up a Fajen "drop in" stock @ the local hardware store (Remember the "good old days"?)I think I threw the military stock in the trash.

About 2001 I completely "chopped" it and had Harry McGowen rechamber to 8mm-06 Ackley Improved, rear bridge ground, drilled and tapped, Harris bolt handle welded on, 3-pos M70 type safety installed, barrel steps turned down (a mistake in my opinion) and had a grade AA quartersawn Black walnut stock made in the classic style with a "shadow line" cheek piece with ebony fore-end tip and grip cap.

After I did all this I was informed that the "Ce" meant it was a JP Sauer.

It's made a really nice handling rifle that hit with a big hammer. 180gr .323 Nosler BT @ 2960fps MV, but how does the sayong go? If I had only known then.....

Anyway after using some old P.O. Ackley "proof load" data, I can assure you that these actions are plenty strong as is.

I pushed the 180gr BTs past 3000fps and 200gr Partitions well beyond 2800fps before I learned that ol' P.O.s data was a "bit warm"? It did happily digest the 180s @ 2960fps and the 200s @ 2800fps for quite a few rounds thereafter.

It is currently torn down for a barrel replacement (another military barrel with only the rear sight step turned down to match the tapered section) and the installation of a hinged florrplate magazine (1904 Portuguese) And yes it will be chambered in 8mm-06 A.I.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Anyway after using some old P.O. Ackley "proof load" data, I can assure you that these actions are plenty strong as is.

I love how one person's positive experience is supposed to miraculously outweigh all the negatives others have posted.

Wow, I tried crack cocaine once and I lived, therefore it must be perfectly safe!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

I love how one person's positive experience is supposed to miraculously outweigh all the negatives others have posted.

Wow, I tried crack cocaine once and I lived, therefore it must be perfectly safe!

And your point is?

If you had taken the time to try to comprehend, instead of jumping to conclusions, you would have realized that I was not condoning this load data but was being critical of it with out being codescending.

Perhaps you might try the same.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While you may have been criticizing Ackley, you were aslo endorsing the notion that mausers are suited to custominzing as-is. You seemed to be saying that just becuase your one example withstood these "proof" loads without any apparent ill effects that all will do so. That is simply not true. You seem to be ignoring the fact that plenty of other posters here have had setback, some on original rifles. Yet, your one experience somehow negates all the other's negative experiences.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And yet there have also been many who have not had "set back" Not all surplus Mausers are soft, and as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke you can't fix it".

I currently own 5 M98s 3 are K98s of WWII vintage "42", "43" and "44" vintage. The "44" is an Obendorf, the "43" Sauer and I don't recall the "42"heritage. All three are of German issue with the Swastika/eagle markings. The other 2 are VZ500s (commercial 48 Yugo)

With the exception of the stamped bottom metal on the "43" and "44" action all exibited acceptable fit and finish although each sucessive year showed less attention to finish.

I have been shooting full power loads in all with no ill affects.

3 for 3 so far on the surplus actions. I must just be lucky I guess.

The problem I had with your post was not your opinion but your condescending tone.

Indeed I have gone back and checked some of your previous posts and you seem to seldom have anything positive to add, but you seem to delight in critsizing others.

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And your point is?

If you had taken the time to try to comprehend, instead of jumping to conclusions, you would have realized that I was not condoning this load data but was being critical of it with out being codescending.

Perhaps you might try the same.

All I can say is to quote "It seems very difficult to impress most reloaders with the fact that every rifle is an individual, and what proves to be a maximum load in one may be quite mild in another, and vice versa." Bob Hagel, GAME LOADS AND PRACTICAL BALLISTICS FOR THE AMERICAN HUNTER, 1977

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for your input.

But, to me, it's just as confusing as before.

How do I tell a Chilean 35 from a Brazilian, etc??

Are they marked differently, or actually have different features, or what?

Sorry to keep asking, but I still don't "get it".

Maybe I just need to get the book....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the crest is still there, you can tell from it. Also the mfg markings will help. A while back the NRA had a reprint titled "Mauser Rifles". It's a good reference, one of the reprinted articles "Identifying Mauser Markings" is very helpful. Then of course there is Olson's book and others on the subject.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A while back the NRA had a reprint titled "Mauser Rifles". It's a good reference, one of the reprinted articles "Identifying Mauser Markings" is very helpful.

craigster-

Thanks!

That's the info I'm looking for. I'll have to go cruise the NRA site to see if that paper is still available. The "Identifying Mauser Markings" sounds like just what I need!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Some of the top riflesmiths I've known have been very partial to the 1909 Argentine Mauser, and it would probably be one of my top choices for a fine custom Mauser.

I am the proud owner of one of these that was cuatom built into a 30-338. They are soft, mine set the locking lugs back after 3 shots. The rework sucked!!! Needed the barrel set back and the action heat treated, this turned out to be THE BIGGEST PIA action/rifle I ever had built. These are very nice actions and make nice rifles, but they tend to be soft. If your going to buld one have it heat treated. It only costs around $40.00 and is money well spent if you end up rebuilding a rifle the hard way.

I admit I was using hot 200 gr loads I use in my FN but if your going to any high pressure rounds heat treat your action. I think I would have any 09 Argentine heat treated after my last experience, it just isn't worth saving a few dollars, in the long run it cost me 10 times the heat treating costs.

I personally like the VZ-24's and the G33/40 actions better. If I was going to start on a new one of these projects I would start with a newer ( general statement post 1930 ) action. Some of the earlier posts went into good detail on the other suitable actions.

And in my old age I have gotten where I really prefer commercial actions as the base building block. A newer BRNO, SAKO, Husky, old Winchester model 70, FN, are just a lot better starting point. They end up costing less in the long run unless you do your own machining and welding. And in the end they are usually worth more.

Just my experiences and $.02 of advice based on those experiences.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Number one will always be DWM modelo 1909 Argentino.
But there is a big difference within the DWM actions too.
The early ones are by fare the best, from what I have seen.
All the actions have a number that starts with a "letter" A; B; C etc. A is 0-10,000 B is 10,001-20,000 etc, The old ones have a better finish in the metal work.
Now when Hartmann And Weiss makes rifles they use selected DWM 1909 actions only, for standard action only, naturally.
If you work one of these actions right you will get a super smooth mauser action.

I have a couple of DWM's and one of them is number 20. That action is by fare the best standard mauser action I have ever seen.
It came of a Argentine horseman's karabiner and have shoot very little due to the fact that it was a horseman's rifle and not a normal infantry rifle.

Here is a picture.

This action is almost 100 years old

Here is a couple of pictures of some other mauser action rifles all original army rifles

First one is DWM 1909 the a Mauser Obendorf, third is a Steyr and last but not least a VZ 24. all good actions.

PS the DWM 1909 will take 8x68s ammo from RWS without modifications to the magazine

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
JefferyDenmark

If I may ask an unrelated question; do you happen to know the length to which RWS loads those 8x68's?

Thanks,

Tex

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
The cartridges that I have are 82,61mm long.
They might be an older batch

http://www.rws-munition.de/de/jagd_geschoss/geschoss_berater.htm

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote