New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi automatic in heavy calibers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it possible to make a semi automatic in a 458 win or even bigger. What is the biggest caliber a semi automatic can handle....?

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask Bofors

Personally I would stay away from such a combination. But maybe a 50 caliber machine-gun is what you are looking for ...

[This message has been edited by Wachtel (edited 02-24-2002).]

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
ROFLAMO @ Wachtel! I love my 40MM too but had to add a 3 foot cheater bar to my RCBS A2 press to get enough leverage to run those big cases through the small base sizing die & use a hell of a lot of breakfree on the cases!

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 02-25-2002).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
BAR's have been converted successfully,to 458Win. Had often contemplated such a conversion,for fishing in Brownie Country.

It seems Jack Lott wrote about one,several times. At least I believe it was Jack............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah B Stick is right they have been converted to 458. Think it was about 15-20 year ago a article was in G&A. I do believe Lott did the writing.

Overkill one thing to think about is how fast can one get shots off with the accuracy you need. And then think about it in terms of a bolt verses say an auto. I do a fair bit of Yote hunting and once bought a 243 BAR thinking it would really help me on those times I called in multiple dogs. Well I didn't work with it tons, but I came to the conclusion from the time I did spend with it that I could get off aimed shots just as fast with a bolt than I could with a auto.
Now I still play with the idea and would love to have a BAR lightweight in a 338. Am I gonna do it probably not. Would I go for the 458 job instead of a factory 338,nope no way.
I did buy a Rem 760 in a 06 carbine and that bugger is as fast as they get. Faster than the auto? I don't know but it is fast enough.
Personally I would really take a close look at a good bolt gun in a 338 por a 375. Outfit it with a good stout peep ( I love the Ashley's with a fiber optic front). Give the barrel a crop job to say 21" or so and practoice practice practice with it. Both on the range on running rabbits (if you can get into them) and do a ton of dry firing. Another game that is fun to do is to have someone with you, pick out a target in advance and when that person tells you bring the gun to bear and get off e shots as fast as you can. I do that quite a bit and it is interestoing to say the least. You'll find a speed where you can get off the shots and make em count. Realistically to me the only shot that realy counts is the first one. or at least that is my opinion.
I did have to protect my life and limb from a yogi last spring while guiding in Montana for blackies. A smallish blackie came for me from 9' and I shot it 2x with a 25/06. It died right quick. I shot it just under the chin as it came for me. I shot 2x and the people with me thought I had fired only once. So you can work a bolt quickly wiwth practice.

Just my thoughts.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
50BMG auto's are common

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Here is what you need!

http://www.teppojutsu.com/prod01.htm

I have heard it said that the 10th round from the magazine seems to have a little kick in an AR Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Go to http://www.gokart.net/shop-utopia/mccann/rifles/garand/garand.html

Now there is a semi-auto magnum! Maybe not a .458, but definatly not you everyday semi-auto! :

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 02-25-2002).]

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 02-25-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote