New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby MK V ultralight safety breaks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In a desire to try something different, I decided to set up a really lightweight 'antelope' rig. I ordered a MK V ultralight in .270 Win and set up a conquest 6.5x14x50 on it. everything seemed pretty good, bolt wasn't as smooth as I am used to, but figured that would come along with some time and tweaking. LOP was right for me and I really liked the stock pretty well.

While my new rig was in the Tipton vice, I tried working the safety, which was ridiculously tight, I could barely work it, and it hurt my fingers to do so. I put a little Kroil on it and let it sit for about 30-40 minutes, tried to work it back and forth and still tight as hell...on about the fifth cycle, the fricking safety switch broke off. Not at the 'pin', but in the base of the switch itself.

I ain't real thrilled... This rifle is unfired, should I try and send back the whole rig, or just call Weatherby or take it to a smith somewhere for repair???

I have plenty of other rifles to take on my first Antelope hunt (mid September) but just wondering ya'lls thought on this--I think I should stick with the SAKO's. I had a NULA, and I just couldn't fall in love with it, as I am so used to the short bolt throw on SAKO's and Sauers, that I hit the occular bell with my thumb all the time......still thinking of the lighter weight rig-- a Finnlight is my lightest so far--either it or the Sauer Lightweight.....

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will spare you the "if it doesn't feel right, stop and look at it" speech. Big Grin Instead, I will recommend calling Weatherby and see what they have to say. Maybe they can direct you to a nearby warranty center who can get it repaired quickly. If not, find a gunsmith who can do it. Probably in that order. Good luck!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Malm, I was giving myself that speech when I was working the safety after the Kroil, and bam, there it went. I like this rifle except that it has a floorplate and follower instead of a DBM, so I hope to get this fixed soon, I'm just not willing to shoot it without the safety switch on there--don't know why, just ain't.

Thanks--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote