THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark V trigger keeping bolt from releasing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
A new to me .300 Wby Mag has slim muzzle brake installed and trigger job -- some sort of after market. The rifle was only used for hunting (f-i-l did some load development for friend of his, the former owner.) While cleaning it up, I couldn't get the bolt out using the usual method, which works fine on the wife's .270 Wby Mag also a Mark V. Anyhow, I have had to clean from the muzzle braked end -- even taking it out of the stock yielded no answer as to how to clean from the breech with my usual routine. No matter how I manipulate the trigger, the bolt will not release. I don't plan to do much with the gun, but am curious about any learning opportunities you'd care to share.

Thanks!

Barry

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Put up a picture of the trigger out of the stock.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I'll try. It's set at about 4# and breaks clean, so I won't want to change it whatever the cause. Mainly keeping it as is in case the guy's son wants to inherit the rifle (and I get my money back.)

The brake seems brazed on (or something) and I don't want to force it any more trying to get it off. What's happening (I think) is inside where pics can't happen.

Back later...

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Muzzle brake

Trigger safety off

Trigger safety on

Trigger off side

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its an old German Mark V Weatherby trigger. You should be able to remove the bolt by pulling the trigger extra hard and it should pull down the bolt stop. If not, it's probably dirty or full of old polymerized oil. You can operate the bolt stop manually by pushing the bolt stop transfer down with a screw driver and removing the bolt. You can try cleaning the trigger out with lacquer thinner and sewing machine oil to get it working again. You have to be careful with those old triggers. The housings are made from a spelter pot metal and they get chalky and break down with age. You can replace it with a Timney. There are no parts left for those old triggers.

GERMAN WEATHERBY by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To remove that trigger for cleaning you have to loosen the tension screw and then drive out the retaining pin. The trigger should pull straight down and out with some wiggling. Don't try to disassemble the trigger. You may break the housing which is probably chalky by now. Just soak it an lacquer thinner and sewing machine oil and blow out with an air compressor. Don't over tighten the tension screw or it will snap off the nose of the housing.

GERMAN WEATHERBY REMOVE TRIGGER by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Bless you! Gunked up bolt stop channel ++

Since malm at 24hourcampfire left this earth, there's been a hole to fill. Congrats!

So, now instead of "don't tell malm but I just ___" it will be "don't tell speerchucker but I just ___."

Hail Rod! (That's your name, right?)

Barry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, Rod Henrickson. There are actually more than a bucketfull of really talented people who frequent this forum. I may not always say it but I have stolen a lot of neat ideas and tricks from these characters too.

The big problem with 99.999% of the questions posed is a lack of pictures. There are millions of variants in firearms and even with makes, models, part names and numbers, true identification and evaluation can only be made after seeing the parts. A few quick shots with a cell phone and then upload them to one of the free sites like Flickr or Photobucket and they are usually pretty straight forward to answer. Like in your case it could have been one of 2 German Mark V triggers, the Japanese trigger or any of the two or three after market triggers. After seeing the picture I recognized the trigger right away. Without pictures it's just blind guessing.

Rod Henrickson