THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Swift/Blackburn Small Oberndorf guard bow size and shape.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift/Blackburn Small Oberndorf guard bow size and shape.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A gunmaker acquaintance of mine has an original Oberndorf inside bow release bottom metal unit for a 10.75x68 Mauser. He intends to use mate it to a Banner Standard Modell barreled action in 7x57. The guard bow and floor plate are identicle to my Type A in 9.3x62 pictured in the medium bores section. I would like to buy or trade for this 10.75 unit. How similar is the Swift/Blackburn small Oberndorf guard bow size and shape to my 1939 9.3's guard bow (which is the typical inside bow release size and shape used from at least the mid 20's up through the war.)? 1909 bows seem considerably smaller, and I'm wondering if Swift/Blackburn bows are more similar size and shape to 1909's or the later Oberndorf commercial units. Does anyone have pics of a Swift/Blackburn small Oberndorf unit they can send me? I would like try and trade a Swift '06 unit for the 10.75 unit, if the gunmaker likes the Swift unit. I think 7x57 feed work would be considerably easier with an '06 metal than with the 10.75. Another option is to find an original Oberndorf somethingX57mm inside bow release metal to trade. Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I visited Ted (and Maggie) a number of times at his various shops in various towns south of Salt Lake City, and never once did I ever see an Oberndorf style trigger guard unit at his place. That doesn't mean he didn't make them, but they must be scarce as hens teeth.

I wonder if Swift is any different?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
I visited Ted (and Maggie) a number of times at his various shops in various towns south of Salt Lake City, and never once did I ever see an Oberndorf style trigger guard unit at his place. That doesn't mean he didn't make them, but they must be scarce as hens teeth.

I wonder if Swift is any different?

I've talked to Swift, and they do make them. Swift has been much better than Ted about keeping what they advertise in stock. I have a Swift large Oberndorf bow 416 Rigby magnum Mauser unit. I may just have to call or email Swift for a picture of the their small Oberndorf guard bow unit.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does that Swift .416 Rigby Oberndorf Unit look compared to the one recently advertised by Mr. Wisner.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are both very nice, but, having owned a few Wisner (PME) bottom metals, Jim's bottom metals are truly exceptional. There are no flies on the Swift unit, though.

FWIW, I sold D'Arcy Echols a Wisner/PME magnum Mauser 416 Rigby unit that he had Steve Heilman tweek to mate up to a "3UE" enfield action. D'Arcy said it was excellent in every way. I still have one more of those bottom metals.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds a lot like what I did. I think I purchased between 15 and 20 units from Ted over the years, but do not own one single rifle that has one of those units on it. I remember buying 3 units for Mex mausers at one time, and I also remember buying some stainless steel and having it shipped directly to Ted and he made 4 Magnum units with the stainless and I ended up with three of them. Sold all three but only got paid for 2!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that is an original Oberndorf inside bow release bottom metal unit for a 10.75x68 Mauser, it should be a crime to modify it.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly!

Matt
FISH!!