New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 14
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there some trick to reassembling a Remington 14 which I don't know about? I have disassembled mine for cleaning, but although I have followed the instructions for reassembly to the letter, when the action is reassembled it refuses to cycle.The release button on the bolt will not budge when pressed.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hope you get that sorted out. I have a 141 inbound.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have two 141, 35s; that is the first center fire rifle I ever fired, when I was about 9.
They are simple (once you get to know them), and very tricky to assemble, being made like a chinese puzzle. Most people should not do it. Make you sure you tip the bolt up when you put it in the receiver so the action bar an engage. And the firing pin must he cocked before you try to reassemble it. Hard to describe but if you don't do that then it is jammed up.
These are good strong rifles but way too expensive to make.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will it cycle if you dry fire the rifle first?..
But with the striker is cocked, you can't work the action when depressing the slide release button on the bolt,,the button doesn't seem to have any spring tension against it?

If that's what's happening, then you probably dropped the ejector plate from the bolt when the rifle was disassembled.
Without the plate in place, there's no connection between the slide lock release button and the front lever of the action lock.

The plate also holds the ejector plunger in place so it doesn't extend way out past the bolt face any farther than necessary.

The plate is a machined steel part that fits into the left side of the bolt. Kind of finger shaped piece, rounded on one end, flat on the other end w/a stepped down cut on that end,, about 3/8" accross,,maybe 2" or a little less in length.
Numrich used to sell them as 'ejector' (not ejector plate) same size for all calibers. I used one in a 14 1/2 and it worked fine also.

It simply sets into place down in a tab cut out and then slides backwards into corresponding slot to keep it in place.
They can easily fall forward and off the bolt assembly when out of the rifle if you happen to push the action lock while handling the bolt.. It's captured in place when assembled.

I've fixed a couple 14's that were missing the ejector plate.

That's about the only thing I can add.