New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester (Miroku) 1885 Extractor Cut
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am rebarreling a Miroku 1885 from 38-55 to 19 Badger. I procured a replacement extractor for 223 that I am hoping will work. Have not cut extractor slot yet. The slot on the 38.55 barrel extends well into the chamber, to the point where I am concerned that the brass will flow into that slot with this higher pressure ctg (based on 30 carbine case). Any input would be appreciated before the chips start flying.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then grind the extractor back until the notch does not need to extend past the solid case head. Like every other extractor slot.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thank you and I will look at it but I don't think it's that simple. The Miroku version has an ejector mechanism that is triggered after a delay to allow the block to fall, it's not just a simple hook that comes back as the action opens. There's got to be a reason why they designed it this way.

There are enough of these around that surely there is some experience base dealing with it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure; I was thinking 95 instead of 85. I have fitted extractors to them too; just make it as shallow a cut as possible.
No there is no reason for it; just different than the original 85 Winchester, as are the main springs which are a nightmare to install. Again, no reason for it other than to make them cheaper than original.
If you have not taken a Miroku 85 one apart; you are in for a treat. Not in a good way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you described the reason it was designed as it is and that is to prevent the spent case from being ejected into the falling block before it cleared. I'll bet if you could lay your eyes on a rimless version you could figure it out. You are comparing it to a rimmed setup. I work at a Browning/ Winchester and we have never seen a 1885. Otherwise I'd offer more advice.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I meant the extractor cut seems unnecessarily deep into the chamber, for either rimmed or rimless. The two extractors (38-55 and 223) are almost identical in design, the claw is just a bit longer on the 223.

And yes it was a bear to take that thing apart. You have to knock out a bunch of pins that are a really tight fit, in a specific order. Much worse than an original 1885. But it's beautifully made. Apparently is worse trying to put them back together.. need a tapered slave pin (like the sst on a Valmet 412). Haven't got to that point yet.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are in for a real treat putting that thing back together; I only did two of them and no more. They are designed to be cheap to manufacture; not easy to assemble.
Hardest gun to assemble since the 20mm Hispano Suiza cannon we had on the M114s.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Last time I had one to put together I found on the Internet assembly instructions with step-by-step photos. Really helped keep my tongue civil whilst manipulating the parts into formation.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote