New
Find
Notify
Tools

husqvarna action i.d.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi - I've got a Husqvarna 8x57 rifle, beech stock with full ('beavertail') forend (potential 'project action'), 'c-ring' large ring Mauser with charger hump and slot, thumb notch, bolt knob with checkered flat surface towards action. The reason I'm posting is that these features suggest that it was a late 40's FN action, but I believe that the FN actions used by Husqvarna were stamped 'FN'. This action has no FN mark, has an A circled behind the recoil lug, and on the left side of the ring has marks including P.V, an arrow, and a symbol like a lion rampant (very small), also a 'Y' on it's side with a 'T' crossing it. Anybody know whether this is indeed a commercial FN action? Thanks, Charlie.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Try this link: http://www.pettsons.net/hvastory.html Choose the models 46 and 640 in the scroll screen.

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Fritz- Thanks for the response - I'm well aware of Pettsons site which dates the rifle at +/- 1947 but doesn't answer my question re FN markings on the action - hoping to see if others have similar markings. Thanks. Charlie.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
The proof marks you describe sound Belgian (Lion over PV and the arrow, or "Perron" - tower), but I didn't think FN made '98s with a full C ring. Is there an oval with ELG inside it? The commercial FNs all had the left locking lug raceway broached through the inner ring as far as I know.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi bpesteve - De Haas writes that the immediate post war FN actions had the C ring which was dropped aftre about 1947 to reduce machining costs but also says that the actions that FN sold had 'made in Belgium' stamped on them - none on mine hence my query.
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
The proof marks you describe sound Belgian (Lion over PV and the arrow, or "Perron" - tower), but I didn't think FN made '98s with a full C ring. Is there an oval with ELG inside it? The commercial FNs all had the left locking lug raceway broached through the inner ring as far as I know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a sporter made on a early postwar FN action by Johnson Automatics. It has the 'PV', arrow 'T', and rampant lion on the left side of action below the front ring. On the right side it has '1948', and a small oval logo with 'FN' stamped inside(not a strong stamp however). My action does not have the thumb slot nor charger hump but has the full c-ring Mauser inner collar.

I would say your action is definitely an early postwar FN action as they were undergoing some changes from military to commercial features. Your 8x57 sounds like a great rifle. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote