Find
Notify
Tools

which barrel contour??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I am wanting to make somewhat of a heavy sporter out of my remington 700 sporter weight rifle in 270 win, I want to retain the rifle as a 270win but gain about .5 to .75 #'s in the barrel, so a finished weight of the rifle would be 8-8.25 #'s I also want to keep the barrel 22" like the factory one that is on the gun. I am wondering if this would be a #3 or 4 contour, I am looking mainly at shilen barrels but I think their contours are pretty standard

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20" number 7 that totals 8.5 with scope and synthetic stock. You may want the 5 1/2 contour in 22" which may be close to what you want.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you want to or need to replace the barrel it would be easier and cheaper to add lead to the fore end and butt to achieve the desired weight. Just a thought.

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I want the added weight for accuracy benefit, I figure the slightly heavier than factory barrel will likely make the barrel less finicky about different loads and aid in accuracy, so I guess what I am asking is how a #4 will compare to my 22" factory ADL barrel

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
All of the barrel makers (Douglas, Lilja, Krieger, PAC-NOR, etc.) list the weights of each contour they make. Just go to their websites and check "Contours" and it should provide you with the various weights.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote