New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 and 340 Weatherby
 Login/Join

<JohnR>
posted
Will the M70 long action take the pressure a 340 Weatherby produces. Right now it is a 300Win.
Thanks for any help!
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure it will.

You might load 200 gr bullets in your .300. That will be a lot less expensive gun wise.

Or buy .340 Weatherby and compare it to the .300 and keep just one.

If you remove a good barrel you are throwing away the value of the barrel and it's installation value.

The big problem here is that there will be the cost of a new barrel and work on the action and magazine to fit in the longer 340.

Better to just buy one as is.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John R

I bought a 338 Win SS and had it rechambered to .340. It works perfect and is a great cartridge in a good rifle. Probably not much more than what you are talking about if money is a concern.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will work in the long action 70 no problem, and it is a great cartridge. Recoil levels are quite a bit higher then the 300, though. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by JohnR:
Will the M70 long action take the pressure a 340 Weatherby produces. Right now it is a 300Win.
Thanks for any help!
John

Nothing to worry about. Just rebarrel and start shooting [Big Grin]

Let us know how the project goes

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the length of the magazine in currently-produce Win 70's in .300 Win. They used to be only about 3.4", which is NOT long enough for the "full length" Weatherby cartridge. If your magazine is less than 3.6", then you will need to lengthen the magazine, which in the older models is doable, but involves some added expense.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The M-70 magazine is long enough but the standard length magnum boxes have a spacer spot welded in to shorten it up . You can drill out the spot welds , remove the spacer , and have a 3.6 inch box . You also need to grind off some length from the bolt stop to match . The follower will likely work .

Or you can go the deluxe route and order all new Weatherby length parts from Brownell's . [Big Grin]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sdgunslinger. I assume you're talking about the current production.

If someone were to use an older model, I think they would find that more extensive work is needed to get a "magnum" length magazine. I know that the factory pre-64 .300 H & H and .375's had a portion of the feed ramp milled away in order to allow more magazine room. Most gunsmiths would do the opposite and lengthen the magazine to the rear in order to leave the feed ramp (which is also the support for the right-hand bolt lug) intact.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdgunslinger:
The M-70 magazine is long enough but the standard length magnum boxes have a spacer spot welded in to shorten it up . You can drill out the spot welds , remove the spacer , and have a 3.6 inch box . You also need to grind off some length from the bolt stop to match . The follower will likely work .

Or you can go the deluxe route and order all new Weatherby length parts from Brownell's . [Big Grin]

sdgunslinger, Would the amount ground off the bolt stop be the same length of the spacer? If not, how would you determine the amount to be ground off? Thanks Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1 , if I recall right , that's exactly what I did is take off the same length as the spacer , or maybe just a hair more . You can start out with it a bit long and shorten it up as needed , it's not difficult to remove.

Another option , if you have an aquaintence with a long M-70 , is to get his bolt stop and just cut your's to match .

As Stonecreek mentioned , this is on the newer M-70 . I have no experience with a pre - 64 .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote