Find
Notify
Tools

Photos of my 505 Gibbs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
Chic asked me to post a photo of the 505 Gibbs that Ray Price built.

Ray did all of the basic construction of the rifle. Jim Wisner worked on the feeding and function of the rifle as well as adding his safety. Jim is currently working on the front sight and barrel band swivel.

Both of these gentlemen are tops in their respective fields and they both lived up to their reputations. The rifle handles as well as it looks, thanks to Ray. It feeds the cartridges like hot snot on a cold door knob, thanks to Jim. Kudos my friends,and much thanks.

I will scratch some English scroll on her when I can get a break in my schedule. Any ideas on the proper animal portrait?

-  -  -  -  -

[ 07-30-2003, 23:35: Message edited by: Scrollcutter ]

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Looks like Imagestation is back in business.

[ 07-30-2003, 23:37: Message edited by: Scrollcutter ]

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the photo quality. It loses something in the transition, I think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some photos of fine kudus on the forum.A nice engraving of the head of a kudu would fit perfectly on that floorplate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger

Beautiful rifle. As for the animal portrait?
This caliber deserves an elephant.
Keep us posted and more pictures.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutly a wonderfull rifle, but its not a plainsgame rifle, so scratch a Cape Buffalo, Lion or Elephant on that baby...very well done and thought out...leather cover the recoil pad.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I agree with you all on the animal portrait.

Definitely something big. Perhaps Elephant or Buff, possibly lion or maybe black rhino. I have so much good artwork of the black rhino.

I'll give it some more thought. I hope I can get to the rifle pretty soon.

I don't know if I'll shoot the rifle. I'm not all that agreeable to getting the sh*t kicked out of me. What do you think? Maybe I should shoot it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter, never build a rifle like that and leave it unfired. Rifles are for shooting.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fantastic rifle, what type action is that?

Posts: 4 | Location: colorado | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, if I remember right, Ray never shot it. He basically said the same thing, he did not want to get the crap kicked out of him. The rifle looks great, the additions have added to it in a very positive way.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Very nice and thanks for posting the photo's, it's the main reason I lurk here. I agree you shouldn't shoot it, just send it my way on a long term loan, say fifty years or so. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simple and elegant. Nice rifle!

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buff, nose down & straight at you.
I will drive up and shoot it for you, and you can laugh at me. I'm serious. I'm in Port Land.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work and rifle, especially the stock. The action looks like a CZ 550. Wondering what is the bolt face look like after opening it up to accept the 505 Gibbs rim? Also wondering what kind of ballpark budget to build such beauty? Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Ming

Thanks for the compliment on the rifle. The action is a BRNO 602. As to the cost, I couldn't tell you. It was a gift from a close friend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I wouldn't change a thing if I were you and neither would Ray. It's gorgeous as it is.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, a beautiful gift like that deserves some special attention: a charging rhino would look good but, it does need to be shot at least once by you so that the giver would know that you appreciate the gift.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter

I would also like to say thanks for the pictures, and if you like I will meet you anywhere in the State and shoot that monster for you! I'm in the Tri-Cities. [Wink]

low_tech

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Nice 602. What happened to the traditional ebony nose piece? You need to add Johansen Scallops off of the mag box also for effect! The cheekpiece loooks a little too clunky for my preferences, but perhaps it's just the photo. Your custom scrolls should help and it's a proper african caliber for sure.!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
I agree with you all on the animal portrait.

Definitely something big. Perhaps Elephant or Buff, possibly lion or maybe black rhino. I have so much good artwork of the black rhino.

I'll give it some more thought. I hope I can get to the rifle pretty soon.

I don't know if I'll shoot the rifle. I'm not all that agreeable to getting the sh*t kicked out of me. What do you think? Maybe I should shoot it!

Shoot it. How can you not? I'll root you on if you give me a call and pop one off after you but you should be first. You can shoot my .577 to get used to the recoil. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A superb rifle from what I can see, well crafted and executed. I would Definitely shoot that bad boy, standing of course, just to say I did. As to engraving, it looks good without it, but a buff's head would look even better on the floor plate.

Good luck and good shooting.
Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I think I am in agreement with you folks. The rifle needs to be fired. I will order a box of ammo from Westley.

Mickey1
I have a customer/friend in Seattle who owns a .577 Westley drop lock. He offered me the same deal. Two shots of factory ammo. I replied that he could buy me and my wife a pretty good dinner for the cost of that ammo. He said, " Yea, and you would enjoy the dinner a hell of a lot more than shooting the rifle". I don't know, I should have eaten the dinner,and then shot one round.

Eterry

I know the rifle looks good without the engraving.
That's the idea. If it didn't look good without the engraving, I wouldn't engrave it. The point of engraving is to elevate the rifle esthetically.
It doesn't make the rifle shoot, function or handle any better. But, good engraving takes a good rifle to a another level.

Rob,

It must be the photos. There isn't a thing on this rifle stock that is out of proportion. There are some better photos of this rifle that alvinmack posted for me from Chic's website. "Roger Kehr's 505 Gibbs" The photos have a much higher resolution. Check it out and let me know if you agree.

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! But where is the foresight???!!

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Barrel band front sight has just been completed. [Big Grin]

Waiting for the banded swivel for final assembly. [Wink]