Find
Notify
Tools

questions about rechambering a Model 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Okay, I have to first say I know zip about rechambering rifles, so please bear with me.

I just bought a rifle that has been discussed on AR before, years ago in fact. It is a Win Model 70 (CRF) chambered in .338 Taylor, supposedly built by Dean Zollinger.

From what I can tell there is no such cartridge, but that's what is stamped on the barrel. The rifle apparently includes RCBS dies and brass.

The description at Cabela's was:

"The shell is a necked up .300 H&H magnum shell, shortened 1/4", and blown out, with a sharp shoulder, a la the Ackley Improved cartridges. It has more case capacity than the Winchester .338 Magnum." By the way this isn't the only rifle currently at Cabela's in .338 Taylor.

Okay, so my main question is, what factory cartridges might be potentially appropriate for a rechambering? Is a rebore a realistic option?

Also can someone provide information on chamber casts?

I do not have the rifle so I can't measure the action or barrel or such yet.

I can get ammunition made for me by John LaSala at Safari Arms, but I think a rechamber or even a rebarrel is a better option. I only bought it because it is a really nice rifle absent the chambering.

Thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
From what you describe a 340 Weatherby might clean up that chamber.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or for the price of rechambering you can get somewhat set up to reload since the dies are coming with it. then you can save a ton on ammo, and have a great new hobby

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or,,,, you can get someone to rebarrel it to a comoon caliber with a barrel of the close contour; if that is what you want, it a factory cartride.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote