New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inletting a fiberglass blank
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm trying to finish a fiberglass stock blank and I'm having trouble getting the action to drop all the way in. The factory said the blank was "nominally inletted" and so far I've had to do a lot of grinding & sanding. The barreled action now drops almost all the way in, but seems to stop about 1/16" from flush at the tang, and I can't find whats stopping it.
How can I find out where the problem is ?

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anaconda, go down to a auto supply store and get some Permatex Prussian blue. It is like a blue oil paint. Use a small brush or a cotton Q tip and brush it on the action. Then put it back in the stock and when you take it out you will see where the action is touching. Remove the spots of blue and soon it will drop in where you want it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or do the same thing that Chic suggests, using lipstick.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Cold bore,
Are you trying to get him in trouble. [Big Grin]
his wife or girl friend might start asking questions with lip stick laying around the work bench , he might get it on his collar by accident. [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsp:
Cold bore,
Are you trying to get him in trouble. [Big Grin]
his wife or girl friend might start asking questions with lip stick laying around the work bench , he might get it on his collar by accident. [Eek!]

Look, anybody knows... when working around firearms, you MUST be careful. [Razz]