Find
Notify
Tools

What to order next?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted
After action is in hand what would be the next smart thing to do? Order the barrel then a stock OR order the the stock than barrel. I am thinking of a Douglas barrle and a Richard's stock. This is my first project and want it to go smoothly.

People kill people, Not guns.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I like to get a picture of what I want in my mind then order all of my peices. I then check everything out to make sure it is what I want and it will all fit. Then I take it to the smith and get his opinion. After all of that and I am happy then I tell him to put it together. Just what I would do.
I think you could better barrel and stock but then there is nothing really wrong with your choices either I currently have a rifle with a Douglass barrel and have had a Richards stock. I am satisfied with both.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
completely finish all metal work before you even think about wood,except for the final bluing....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crimp_me,
If you are ordering a stock and having a barrel fit to a specific action, it does not matter one bit which one you do first or if you do them at the same time, as long as you do not change actions. They send their 95% inlets with small barrel channels. There is lots of wood for you to remove.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crimp_me:
After action is in hand what would be the next smart thing to do? Order the barrel then a stock OR order the the stock than barrel. I am thinking of a Douglas barrle and a Richard's stock. This is my first project and want it to go smoothly.

I order both at the same time because of the lead times, but I never start the stock work until the barrel had been fitted to the action first.

If you're talking about RIchard's Microfit Stocks, they are taking about 8 to 10 weeks (including shipping time), so keep that in mind.

Good luck,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote