New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building some Shooting sticks......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I guess here is the best place to ask....

I am building a set of shooting sticks using aluminium tube. The sticks are extendable. (one tube slides inside the other) When done I think I'll have something I can flog to some of the PH's around here. (Always looking for a better mousetrap)

Now, there is a little plastic gizmo out there that fits on top of the inner tube that allows you to "lock" the inner tube to the inner wall of the outer tube by a simple twist of the inner leg. It works using a camming effect. This way I can vary the height of the sticks from shooting at a sitting stance to standing.

Does anyone know what the gizmo is called so when I phone a hardware store they will know what I am talking about???

Better yet, does anyone know the brand name and maybe a website?

Thanx

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete...try a photography shop. What you're describing is the way tripods work.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Okie Newton>
posted
I bought a set like this the other day on ebay. Cost 15.00 delivered. Should be here in time to use them this weekend. I thought for the price of material and time to make them this was a good deal. I just did a search on shooting sticks. Of course it would be neat to make your own.

<ovis>
posted
Pete,

I think T.Carr had an interesting post over on the African Forum doing this recently.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Pete,

I tried two 10mm carbon fibre tubes and a piece of rubber band cut from a bicycle inner tube. Quick,very light and quiet.

However after a couple of hunts I decided that they were more trouble than they were worth - it always took too long to get them into position. Anyway, over the 52 years since shooting my first "game" I've always managed to find a bush, anthill, tree or something to use as a steady for the longer shots. So they are now gathering dust in the garage.

However I would just machine the nut with a internal taper and machine the external tube with a matching taper and then split it longitudinally in four places. Think of a collet chuck.

Check out the extruded section that they use for ladder rungs and see if they won't do for the nut. Have the tubes & nut hard anodised after manufacture - otherwise they will gall and seize up.

cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Collapsible trekking poles have those gizmos. The big manufacturer of them is an outfit in Germany or Austria, I believe the latter, called Komperdell. They might be a source if you can locate them.

Edited-they're from Austria.

[ 02-03-2003, 05:38: Message edited by: Bob338 ]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I made up my prototype yesterday, it works like a charm. I used pegs with holes in the two sliding sections to adjust the height. Works like a charm, but it will be much better if I can find the gizmos.

I checked Komperdell, they make the poles, I think they source the gizmos elsewhere.

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote