New
Find
Notify
Tools

.38 Special Revolver
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this under pistols but haven't heard a peep on it, thought maybe it might do better here.

Can anybody give me a little history on my late Father-in-Law's revolver?

It is double action, firing pin in the frame, and a 4 - 5 inch barrel.

On the right side of the barrel it has Made in Germany, left side it has ROHM GBMH. SONTHEIM/BRENZ, MOD.38S CAL.38 SPECIAL

On the frame it has IND. MIAMI FLA.

Just curious, it seems to be a well put together little revolver.

many thanks

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rohm is a German company, whose lower-end handguns were imported here under the Rohm and RG marques.

They weren't expensive new, and they're not worth much used (at least the models I've seen).

George
P.S. David Hinckley shot President Reagan with an RG revolver

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one when I was a kid, a .22 revolver. We bought it as a desperately needed tool in my trapline business. My friends and I had spent weeks coming up with a need for a pistol and then convincing my father that I could become a much more productive trapper with a pistol- a complete line of crap.

Well, the first day I tried it out, couldn't hit a thing no matter how I tried. I tracked down an old goat nieghbor and got his input. He couldn't hit anything either. He stood behind me and watched me shoot. After the first shot (it hit the dirt in front of me) he reached over my shoulder and picked the revolver out of my hand and ran a pencil down the barrel. WE found out that it was out of time and was shaving bullets at every shot. He made me sell it and I got the pistol we should have bought in the first place- a Ruger.

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance

Posts: 249 | Location: kentucky USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just screwed up. I came across as condemning your pistol. I missed you already had the pistol and I condemned it. I aplogized for what I wrote- I should be more careful. TED

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance

Posts: 249 | Location: kentucky USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem.

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WV, from what I have seen of Rohm's, they are a reasonably well made moderately priced revolver. They don't have the fit and finish of a prewar S&W, but are solid shooters. Have a gunsmith check it for any safety issues, then shoot it and enjoy it.

John

Posts: 89 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote