THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Win Mod 70 CRF 338WM to 340 WBY anyone actually done it?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win Mod 70 CRF 338WM to 340 WBY anyone actually done it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted
To the group:

I posted a question earlier on the forum and received several very positive answers. What I'm considering doing is converting a Winchester model 70 338 Winchester Magnum into a 340 Weatherby magnum. I was told this can be done quite easily by a few changes to the feeding system and a rechambering of the barrel. I would like to know if anybody on the form has actually performed the conversion and whether they have had any difficulties in so far as the ability to make the rifle feed with the shortened opening on the bolt area. Any personal experience to be wonderful I'm trying to get a 340 Weatherby put together to match my 300 H&H.

Thnaks

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Brad I answered on the other thread. Can't speak to the 340 feeding issue but going from 7mag to 7stw I had to do nothing as to feeding.

The ejection port will be shorter. Doesn't effect ejection that I found. However with a loaded round you need to put the point in first then swing the rear in. The factory port will probably not be long enough for the 3.6" to fit straight.

While this opening could be expanded I never found it to be an issue and could load it just as fast.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have converted M70 7mm mags to 338 RUMS; easy; all you need to do is take the spacer out of the mag box and cut off the bolt stop some. They were push feed so the ejector was not affected.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul & dpcd:

Thanks for the advice. I had "redneck" Lee Christensen on 24 Camp Fire build up my 300 H&H Im waiting for his thoughts on the idea but at this point I can find a nice 338 WM in CRF for $ 500 - 600 with gunsmithing I should be able to get a 340 for say less than $1100 Which would be fine. I'd like to find a nice wby length donor but they are just plain drying up.

Thanks

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should be able to get a 340 for say less than $1100 Which would be fine.

Don't know what gunsmithing you are wanting but assuming you are just rechambering the conversion should be far less than your $5-600.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Model 70s are plenty long enough; no need to look for anything else. A 300 H&H only .075 shorter than a 340 Weatherby, so should be no problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out 338-375 Ruger. Same ballistics as .340 Bee with a shorter case and no belt.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan

I currently have a 338 imperial magnum built up on a mod 70 CRF action with a 27" barrel that needs a NEW home. I'm looking for a non-wildcat in .338 which is slightly more than a 338 WM but less than a 338 Lapua class, hence a 340 weatherby.

Thanks Brad Smiler

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Then a 338/300/7mm to 375 H&H should be just as easy?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
easier; All long action M70s receivers are made for the 375H&H. Post 64s I mean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have encountered with this operation is in the ejection of loaded rounds. They want to hit the right rear receiver ring before the bullet clears the front ring. If you can get a look at a factory .375 or .300 you can see what Winchester did to make it work.
C.G.B.