THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone explain "Gas Port Erosion" to me?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im curious as to how it happens, why it happens, what exactly causes it, where it is most noticable? Any information would be helpful. Thanks,

Scott

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me it's usually Mexican food....... Smiler....DJ

Sorry I couldn't resist....

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
As the hot, high-pressure, high-velocity gases from the burning powder charge shoot through the gas port of a self-loading, gas-operated rifle or machine gun, they melt a little of the barrel steel out of the hole and carry it away, (just as the same gases melt and carry away metal from the bore of the weapon). This eventually leads to a significant enlargement of the gas port hole, and a change in the way the action of the weapon operates.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And I would opine that if you are shooting an AR-15 rifle or something similar, it will take many thousands of rounds before you notice anything different from Round One. When the hole enlarges, you will only have more gas being directed toward the bolt carrier, which will further improve the functionality of the action. I have a rifle that wouldn't cycle; it had to be sent off to have the gasport enlarged-- works great now.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote