New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about old (1963) Rem 700 barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up an older BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. Nice gun, head and shoulders above the current stuff in terms of finish and no stamped parts.

While looking it over today I noticed that stamped on the barrel, right underneath the caliber designatin, are the words "STAINLESS STEEL"

This gun is blued, I didn't hink stainless guns were made back then and if they were I tought stainless couldn't be blued.

What gives here?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
SS cannot be blued in the tradional way, but it can finished in a way that looks like blued. I've seen these barrels a number of time on early 700s in 264 and 7mm Mag.
I forget what the finished is called...

one of us
posted Hide Post
So it's actually stainless, eh?

Thanks, 9.3.

BTW you'd be the right guy to ask this.
If I wanted to rebore a M98 Mauser from 8x57 to 9.3x62 will there be any issues about bolt head diameter (I think the 9.3 is smaller) or feeding?

RR

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

If I wanted to rebore a M98 Mauser from 8x57 to 9.3x62 will there be any issues about bolt head diameter (I think the 9.3 is smaller) or feeding?

You shouldn't have any bolt face problems. Watch the mag length though - 9.3x62 CIP spec reamers have a long throat and leade, so you will most likely run out of mag before you're particuarly closer to the lands - however, this may not be a problem. Feeding may well require some attention as the shoulder diameter of the 9.3x62 is considerably larger and farther forward.

Personally, I prefer to rebarrel. You can have the original contour duplicated without too much extra expense, if that is what you prefer. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Normally I'd rebarrel, but this barrel has engraving, a full length rib and leaf sights and integral front sight base. Too much work to duplicate.

Thanks, Rob