New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about peep sight mounting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up an old .30-40 sporter on Monday. This old rifle defiantly wasn't a bubba job and the receiver is still un-molested by a drill. While the buckhorn sight on this rifle will be quite functional I still keep thinking I'd like a aperture sight on this rifle.

My question is I've seen sights mounted on the bolt shroud on old rifles like this one. How well does that work? I'd really don't want to drill into this action and if I will not do it just to have a peep sight.

This is what I'm working with it is missing the safety lever which I'll have to replace. Could I mount a functional sight on the bolt shroud of this rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your PM

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
It should be rather straight foreward to install a peep-sight on the cocking-piece of the hammer, like it is done on the M98's. The cocking piece is pretty simmilar to the one on a Springfield, I am sure someone have a pick to show.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also a peep sight that mounts in the old cut off lever hole with out D&T. I have one made by Pacific.
Also I have seen old Redfield sight that attaches to the screw holding the side plate cover, no D&T.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, Bent's is what I was thinking of. If there are sight out there that will mount without D&T I'd love to have one. So keep me in mind if you ever find one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Krag with a Rice peep on it, they are hard to find, a very simple little sight that works well.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=95259700

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bent, is that one of those sights that Prechtel guy in Germany makes?

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redfield used to make them and they were very nice. There are a couple of guys out there that specialize in old iron sights, you might give them a try ( look in GunList or SGN).
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Rusty Marlin who posts on here makes them today. Excellant workmanship and reasonable price. I have one of his first ones on a 98 Mauser

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post

mine's prettier.

Seriously though, I have 4 that can be ready in a couple weeks if anybody is interested.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Montross

Hi Rusty,

How do I contact you about one of these Rigby style sights?

thnx

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Just send me an e-mail or a PM.
Rusty42marlin@yahoo.com

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote