New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen headspace gauge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having problems igniting new unfired brass in my 35 Whelen. Had the smith check headspace yesterday and he used a 30 06 gauge claiming there would be no difference between the two 06 vs 35 whelen). The bolt would not close on the no go gauge and close on the go.
Sound ok?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your smith was correct. Headspace gauges are the same for 25-06,270,30-06,338-06, and 35 whelen. You might try seating the bullets out to the lands with a light load to form the brass to headspace properly.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your smith was correct. Headspace gauges are the same for 25-06,270,30-06,338-06, and 35 whelen. You might try seating the bullets out to the lands with a light load to form the brass to headspace properly.

Agreed, the shoulder may be just a little too far back on the brass. I had the same issue with my Ruger Hawkeye with CCI primers. Started neck sizing only and no problems.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote