THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Different pre-64 scope mounting question...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello all,

Like another thread here I'm also having trouble mounting a scope, actually scopes, on two pre-64 M70s, but my problem is a little different. I bought new Redfield 1 piece bases for both of them. I was able to get the points of the scope alignment tool to line up, but when I go to put the scope in it sure doesn't feel like they line up. I'm wondering if maybe the points of the alignment tool meet, but the axes are not parallel? I've tryed mounting them by "feel" without the alignment tool and can't find a setting where the scope drops in the mounts the way I like it to.

Are the Redfields prone to alignment problems? To be honest, most of the reason I went with them is that they seem like a classic combination with the pre-64 M70. Are the Buehler mounts that Mr. Belk speaks highly of still available? I did a couple quick searches and didn't come up with much. And is it likely that the Buehlers would solve my problem? Before I read the recent posts about the Buehler mounts I was planning to get a set of Talley mounts. People seem to speak highly of them as well. Any thoughts on the Talley vs. Buehler decision?

Any help appreciated,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are using the original screw holes, they should line up. They made those rifles right first time around. The best mount IMHO for the M70 is the Leupold DD Mount. Unfortunately it is a two piece.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobvthunter:
Hello all,

Like another thread here I'm also having trouble mounting a scope, actually scopes, on two pre-64 M70s, but my problem is a little different. I bought new Redfield 1 piece bases for both of them. I was able to get the points of the scope alignment tool to line up, but when I go to put the scope in it sure doesn't feel like they line up. I'm wondering if maybe the points of the alignment tool meet, but the axes are not parallel? I've tryed mounting them by "feel" without the alignment tool and can't find a setting where the scope drops in the mounts the way I like it to.

Are the Redfields prone to alignment problems? To be honest, most of the reason I went with them is that they seem like a classic combination with the pre-64 M70. Are the Buehler mounts that Mr. Belk speaks highly of still available? I did a couple quick searches and didn't come up with much. And is it likely that the Buehlers would solve my problem? Before I read the recent posts about the Buehler mounts I was planning to get a set of Talley mounts. People seem to speak highly of them as well. Any thoughts on the Talley vs. Buehler decision?

Any help appreciated,
Bob

....I've got several P64-70's and have a couple of them with the Redfield brand bases.....no alignment problems but I lapp them also.....I would get a lapp kit OR use the base with Burris Signature rings with the synthetic inserts....they work well and protect the scope finish.......it's not impossible for either Winchester OR Redfield to have made a slight error on the machining or one may be at the small end of specs and the other at the large end.....if it doesn't pop in right it will marr and even damage the scope .....I have used the verticle split Warne rings/bases also with good luck......HTH..good luck and good shooting with that fine old gun!!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1949 M70 that has the factory holes misaligned. I ordered a 2 pc. base set from Buehler with no drilled holes and matched drilled them to fit the action. The folks at Buehler told me that this was quite common, that's why they sold undrilled bases. I believe that Weatherby is now selling the Buehler style bases and rings.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean that it does not "feel" like it lines up?

The front mount should twist and allow it to line up with the rear! Keep twisting the front mount back and forth until it lines up.

Check out those rear adjusting screws. In the past the Redfield screws were soft and their metal would yield under recoil. At the time I experianced this I found that Leupolds screws would fit the Redfield mounts and they seem to be made from thru hardened steel and did not fail like the Redfield screws.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The best mounts I've ever used for stock pre-64 Model 70 rifles are Jack's preferred Buehler's, and of these I like the two-piece bases best.

Pre-64 Model 70 rifles weren't the blemish-proof, sacred-cows that they've been portrayed to be by any means. Often, the receivers weren't squared and the scopemount screw holes did not line up properly with the axis of the bore.

Windage screw bases are best to use with these rifles by maybe a ten-to-one ratio, but to use them properly, you'll need to follow this proceedure: Make sure that you scope's windage adjustment range is centered. If necessary, back out the windage adjustment dial to the full extent of its range, then turn it back all the way in, counting clicks as you go. Divide this number of clicks by two, then count that many clicks back out again.

Next, mount the scope (make sure the verticle crosshair is square to the verticle axis of your rifle - this step is critial), then use the windage screws in the rear scope base to adjust the scope near-center with the aid of an optical collimator, such as the Sweeney or Bushnell (I've owned the same Bushnell unit for over twenty-five years). Make your final zero (only) with the windage adjustemtn dial of your scope only after you have your rifle printing on paper.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

I really don't think that the allignment of the mounting holes in the action are my problem here. I don't know if they are perfectly alligned or not, but I'm using one piece bases that lined up with the mounting holes perfectly. I believe that the problem is all in the bases.

When I say that they don't "feel" like they line up I mean that the scope should lay in the bottom of the rings with no resistance. As I start to lay the scope in the bottom of the mounts I would have to force it to the bottom of the rings. I have tried every combination and permutation of front and rear ring position and I can't get it to lay in there the way I'm used to.

Anyway, about these Buehler mounts... I want to ask again if they are still being made. If not, does anyone know of a place that has stockpiled them and I might be able get a set (2 actually). If not what would be the second choice as far as something that is readily available (short of totally custom mounts)?

Thanks again,
Bob