THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: What to do w/: Oberndorf commercial 98 action

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What to do w/: Oberndorf commercial 98 action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I apologize if it appears that I'm hijacking this thread, but I have a mauser that I believe is a Type "B", and would like to know how to verify this, or where I can find the info to verify it.

It's marked "Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf", has a serial number 79XXX, and has a much better quality action than any '98 that I've ever seen.

This was my grandfathers gun, and he told the story of how a Buffalo gunsmith offered him $275 for the action shortly after WWII (this was a significant amount at that time). I think this was too late for it to have been Charles Newton, but it may have been one of his "students".

I recall the gun having a long thin hand checkered forearm with a schnaubel (sp?) forend. The grip was also checkered, with a metal cap on it. The magazine has a release and there are double set triggers.

My grandfather was a peep sight man, so he replaced the original sight with a Williams receiver, and in later years he fell and broke the stock so he replaced it with one he made himself.

I'd appreciate any help any of you can give me.

Thanks!
Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure sounds like a model B. Serial number would probably place it before WWI. Any idea what caliber?

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll do my best with this new fangled equipment.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote