Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with my new 1999?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Well, it's finally here but now what should I make?

After nearly 2 years my Montana 1999, short action, left-handed chrome-moly action is in hand. When I ordered it I was thinking of a 7mm-08 but now am leaning towards the 7mm WSM, which wasn't available or I wasn't aware of when I ordered. I realize that if I go the WSM route I'll have to open up the bolt face but I don't think that'll be a problem.

Before I commit to anything I was wondering what choices I may be overlooking or stumbling blocks I may not see. Let me know what you think. I very much appreciate your ideas.

Thanks

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I cannot see why one would make a 7-08 over a .280 Rem.
One could always load the .280 down to get 7-08 ballistics, but not the other way around. .280 is a great middle of the road cartridge.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue

It's a short action.

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John,
Do you have any obvious gaps in your rifle lineup?

The 7-08 is a good round, as is a .284 Win. (or any of the wildcats based on it), and the .358 Win. Do not forget the 6mmAI, and the .257AI.

Of the WSMs, the only one that interests me even a little is the .270WSM. Your gunsmith will have to make sure the WSMs feed reliably, and you will probably lose at least one (perhaps two) rounds in magazine capacity.

How does the action look and feel? Will it need a lot of polishing and attention?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
708, 338wsm 376 steyr (3.15" oal)...

358 win....

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Poster: Toomany Tools
Thanks for the replies so far. Here's a little more info: I currently have hunting rifles in .375 H&H, .300 Win Mag, .308 Win, 22-250 AI, .222 Rem, .17 Rem and .17 HMR. The 375, 300 and 17 rem are all left-handed and the .308 is a lever gun.
........<snip>.........

Since it's a short action, and just to suggest something a little different, have you thought about a .338-08? It would fit nicely between your .375 and .30 calibers in your caliber line up. (I don't have a .338-08 so I have no experience with it but I do shoot a .338-06.) Of course, there's nothing wrong with something in the 7mm, .27, 6.5mm, .25 group either.

Just a thought....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we are thinking alike in our rifles. We went with a 7x57 because its just a little bit faster if you reload. Also I thought maybe it would feed smoother with this kind of thin tapered case. Don't know if it would make any difference but that what we thought. Good luck in what ever you choose. Also we are using the same kind of stock. Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
John! You don't have a 7mm of any kind? No 25 caliber rifles? Not a single 6.5? I can understand no 24 caliber and no 270, but you have serious gaps in your arsenal! Let's get to work. O.K., from personal experience I can recommend the following on a short action.

250 Savage (I actually currently have a 250AI that I absolutely love!).
257 Roberts (a classic, though some people will prefer this in a long action. The AI version will tread closely on the heals of the 25-06).
25-284 (I prefer the 6.5-284, but this is a screamer).
260 Remington (very efficient).
6.5-284 (140 grain bullets have incredible BCs. Very accurate).
7-08 (the almost perfect medium game cartridge).
.284 Winchester (maximum power from a small package).

There are others but these are the ones I've had experience with and if you want a light gun in a small package these will handle all the light/medium chores you may have. Looks like you have the small, large and target bases covered. As for Magnums, in my opinion, you have two too many already! O.K., I'll make an exception for the 375. It's a classic.

I don't know if I envy you or feel sorry for you! So many choices! Good Luck

Jim

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far. Here's a little more info: I currently have hunting rifles in .375 H&H, .300 Win Mag, .308 Win, 22-250 AI, .222 Rem, .17 Rem and .17 HMR. The 375, 300 and 17 rem are all left-handed and the .308 is a lever gun.

I'll be doing the gunsmith work myself.

I estimate the action is 80% polished and overall I'm pleased with it. They polished the bolt handle to a mirror finish but failed to remove what look like course grinder grooves cut laterally across it. That'll take some work and the lug races need polishing which shouldn't be too much trouble. I'm a disciple of Jack Belk's polishing methods and having done a couple VZ-24's expect to clean this one up using the same stones.

I'm thinking I would like a light-weight rifle with classic lines and top quality walnut stock--maybe an Accurate Innovations Golden Supreme.

Just can't seem to settle on caliber. Thanks again for the inputs.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I guess when they said "great minds think alike" they was thinkin' of us! I've wondered about a 257 Roberts ever since I read an article in Guns magazine about 30 years ago, but the temptation for speed is pulling at me...

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Quote:

temptation for speed is pulling at me...

If that's the case then 25-284.
If it were my action it would be a straight up old school 250-3000 Savage.I already have a 250AI I long for a 250 Savage on a CRF action. Don't know why?

Have fun
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is late and I can't help myself - I think you should party with Prince to his song 1999! Sorry, but I grew up in the 80's and everytime I hear the number 1999 I think of that song.

Good luck and good hunting!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The M1999 short action is a tad longer than most short actions - M1999 box length is 3.150". That makes it perfectly viable to fit "medium" cartridges - loaded to say 3.100" to provide you just a bit of space to feed and to load out a tad, should your lands receed a bit over time.

Since I like classic cartridges, my preferences would be: .257 Roberts, 6.5x55 or 7x57 (stamped .275 Rigby for snob effect ). Either of these rounds will fit very well into the action.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
lol!

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toomany Tools,

If it's a light weight with some punch you might want to add up the weight of the potential components. My 1999 SS SA weighed 48 oz. Those AI stocks look very interesting but I bring up the matter of weight as some of their models don't seem that light.

If you do opt for a WSM you might call MRC and ask if you can trade actions. This would put the responsiblity on them for function.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote