Notify
Tools

To expand the magazine on a pre'64, SS?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello.
Yes, I know I'm nagging to much about magazines all the time............. sofa

But.........I own a custom-buildt Winchester Pre'64, SS, chambered for 338 RUM. The problem then, is the magazine lenght.
Is it recomendable to expand the length any, in that SS-action?

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My question is this, who would build a custom rifle in a particular caliber without first thinking how to house and feed the round?

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And, my question is, how many pre-'64 actions were made in SS?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460wby:
Hello.
Yes, I know I'm nagging to much about magazines all the time............. sofa

But.........I own a custom-buildt Winchester Pre'64, SS, chambered for 338 RUM. The problem then, is the magazine lenght.
Is it recomendable to expand the length any, in that SS-action?

This don't add up!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
460wby, does SS mean stainless steel? If it does then you must be talking about Model 70 Classic. Model 70's made before 1964 were never made of stainless steel.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is a M70 stainless steel then take the spacer out of the back of the magazine box and change the ejector and bolt stop to the long magnum style. Then try ejecting some cartridges, if there is problem you may have to remove some metal from the rear bridge to make the ejection port longer.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
And, my question is, how many pre-'64 actions were made in SS?

That was going to be my opening question but I was running out of time. I had to take care of more pressing business. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Wow!!
I am deeply sorry if i have ruined someones sleep by beeng so bold that I actually asked this question!! killpc
And mostly because I did it all wrong and used a wrong name on the action.
And my dollar goes to one great man called "hart", that really did understand what this all was about............ Roll Eyes Wink

Of course; a Win M70, classic in Stainless steel YES!!

quote:
My question is this, who would build a custom rifle in a particular caliber without first thinking how to house and feed the round?

It houses, and feeds, of course, but i'm glad you came up with that so i dont do this terrible mistake again.. Cool
The issue is; that I would like to seat some bullets longer out if possible, spesially the heavier ones. That's the reason for this "stupid" question.
I can use rounds that has COL of 91,6mm.

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Try this thread, I think its what you want.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...XTENDED+MAGAZINE+BOX

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The issue is; that I would like to seat some bullets longer out if possible, spesially the heavier ones. That's the reason for this "stupid" question.
I can use rounds that has COL of 91,6mm.

Putting all the sofa, Eeker, Roll Eyes, Wink, Cool aside, If you would have said right up front that you wanted to increase the length of the magazine to handle a round that has a COL of 91,6mm, it would have made more sense to me and I would have been able to respond a little better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
If you would have said right up front that you wanted to increase the length of the magazine to handle a round that has a COL of 91,6mm, it would have made more sense to me and I would have been able to respond a little better.

Wink
I hope you understand that I hav not grown up, speaking english. But I see that now, that I't was easy to misunderstand what I really ment.
Trying to be more precise:
I'd like to make it possible to use a COL at 93-94mm. Can that be done without weaken the action to much. With that stainless steel and all?

Arild.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:

Thanks man! Right on spot! cheers

Arild.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope you understand that I hav not grown up, speaking english.

Well you do a heck of a lot better than we would if the roles were reversed. thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably a good point!

Thanks, my friend! Wink

Arild.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:

Thanks man! Right on spot! cheers

you can get that product directly from Kevin Wyatt at www.wyattsoutdoor.com.. for a cheaper price than Brownells...

Kevin Wyatt is located locally here, and is a real decent guy to work with.... he is my 'to-go-to" gunsmith for all of my work...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote