New
Find
Notify
Tools

My custom .416Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was hoping I could email someone my pics of the rifle to post for me. I don't know how!

Ronald Wharton is building it for me. About half way from completion.....

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
set up an account at photobucket:

http://photobucket.com/

upload your photos to your account

copy and paste the code for each photo, it looks like this:

[ img ] http://and so on [ /img ]

using the image button on the tool bar in the posting form:

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the blank I wanted. Pretty good??!

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Looks like it will be a nice one! beer

Details please, What type of wood?...beautiful by the way. Who made the action? How many rounds will it hold?

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you,

The wood is from Turkey. Thats all I know. Cost a small fortune!
Buffalo horn forend.
Ronald Wharton is responsible for the action.
It started life as a cz action, however he has turned it into an absolute dream...
These pics were taken just before it goes off to the finisher for it to be oiled and chequered.
The recoil pad is going to be a traditional leather covered pad.
Holland and Holland Q/D mounts. Ronald makes the mounts for H&H in London!
I now have to decide re. engraving etc. Any suggestions most welcome.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats some bad ass wood. what is it? the whole gun is nice.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Nice, my only suggestion is the cheek piece is a bit oversized.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi jcorry,

The larger cheekpiece looks fantastic with that piece of wood. I believe a smaller cheekpiece would have not done the wood justice. Great rifle!

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The man who stocked it worked as a stocker at H&H all his life, until he retired last year.

He is regarded as one of the top stockers around.

John

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That is GORGEOUS! You've got to give us some pictures after it gets back from the finisher! Nicely done!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will do that.
It now goes off for about 6 weeks, depending on the weather.
It will be oiled, about 35 - 40 coates.
Chequered, engraved and finally action + barrel blued.
I can hardly wait.

John

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
WE can hardly wait either! It looks great.
Thanks for sharing your photos, we don't often get to see new production English custom rifles - please keep us posted.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two members of my family are having .416s being built by Paul Roberts, in preparation for our buffalo hunt in the selous this july.
It will be an interesting comparison once they are completed.
Especially as I had a choice of who to use...

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir-

Your rifle is stunning!!! Thanks for sharing pictures of her with us.

We look forward to seeing more as progress develops.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Famous names like William Evans use him to build their rifles. They then stick their name on it at the end, and tell everyone it came from their workshop....which they don't have....

I can understand why they use him though!

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a nice rifle with a really fine piece of wood. WHat size scope is that you have on there?

Did Paul Roberts make it? You mentioned the H&H guy and I was wondering if Paul Roberts had opened a small gun and rifle making firm and hired gunmakers. Does Paul do any of the hands on work himself, or is he only th ebusienss manager? I did not know what he was doing after Rigby moved to North Mexico.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Georgeous rifle, but Your swivel stud is so empty... You need an adequate gun sling I would say:

http://www.titanium-gunworks.de/futterale/reineke-knebe...sen-und-flinten.html

http://www.titanium-gunworks.com/

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
That looks like a nice rifle with a really fine piece of wood. WHat size scope is that you have on there?

Did Paul Roberts make it? You mentioned the H&H guy and I was wondering if Paul Roberts had opened a small gun and rifle making firm and hired gunmakers. Does Paul do any of the hands on work himself, or is he only th ebusienss manager? I did not know what he was doing after Rigby moved to North Mexico.

The scope is a new illuminated swarovski 1'' tube, I think.

My rifle is being made by Ronald Wharton, nothing to do with Paul Roberts. He works under the name 'Ronald Wharton (From Rigbys)'. He started his life at Rigby, when Paul Roberts still had it. He left when the name was sold to......
However, I believe Paul Roberts uses Ronald from time to time if he is pushed or needs some special parts.

Yes, Paul does produce some very fine rifles and shotguns under both the Roberts name, and W J Jeffery. His workshop is located on site in London. He doesn't do any hands on work himself - Although he does know what he's talking about.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more.
Ron Wharton with my rifle.

John

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow! Beautiful piece of working, functional art.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My God - what a beautiful piece of Walnut. Congrats. I have a full blown custom on the same action but I replaced the factory trigger with one from AHR and had the bolt release button built up and checkered - and of course I thought I had a nice piece of wood on it - but you've ruined that for me!! Smiler

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GG375:
My God - what a beautiful piece of Walnut. Congrats. I have a full blown custom on the same action but I replaced the factory trigger with one from AHR and had the bolt release button built up and checkered - and of course I thought I had a nice piece of wood on it - but you've ruined that for me!! Smiler

GG

Thats a very good looking rifle there. Congrats What the hell is that you shot????? A cow??

John

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
WE're liable to shoot most anything on this side of the pond.

Here's the infamous Black Elk taken by a customer, trying out his newly restored Purdey.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jcorry

Yep - a wild bull or scrub bull. Hers another pic

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles, all.

I have been curious, having gone through a fairly expensive build myself, what is the reasoning behind starting with a CZ (or other military or production action) as opposed to starting with a custom action such as a GMA?

I've done the math, and by the time you pay someone to completely re-work the action, you are not too far off from buying a custom action. Then when you figure in the cost of that blank, the expense of having high end sight hardware installed, the labor of a skilled stockmaker, and all the finishing and embellishing, the cost difference between the two actions becomes very small potatoes.

Not an indictment at all of either of the rifles shown, as both are magnificent. I've just been curious about the thinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
Beautiful rifles, all.

I have been curious, having gone through a fairly expensive build myself, what is the reasoning behind starting with a CZ (or other military or production action) as opposed to starting with a custom action such as a GMA?

I've done the math, and by the time you pay someone to completely re-work the action, you are not too far off from buying a custom action. Then when you figure in the cost of that blank, the expense of having high end sight hardware installed, the labor of a skilled stockmaker, and all the finishing and embellishing, the cost difference between the two actions becomes very small potatoes.

Not an indictment at all of either of the rifles shown, as both are magnificent. I've just been curious about the thinking.

Thank you for your kind comments.
Yes, you are right about it being expensive.
In fact its such a sore topic that my bank manager has told be not to talk about it ever again.

The action....
I am, by no way, any guru on this heavily talked about topic.
When I was thinking about the idea of having rifle built I convinced myself that a magnum mauser action was the only way forward.

When I spoke to Ron Wharton he was convinced that a cz action was the best choice as he then works his magic and turns it into a beautiful thing.

I think he is using a ferlach barrel....

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that answers my question. Following the advice of a good smith is rarely a bad plan.

By chance, did he change out the barrel at some point?

In this picture it looks like the barrel sports an integral front sight and a full length rib:

Whereas in this picture it looks like a banded front sight, barrel band swivel stud, and round barrel with no rib:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
errrrr not sure on that one. Don't think so!

John

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
CAS, I think it's just the way the light is hitting it. Looks to be same in both pics to me.

BTW, nice rifle Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I too, at first thought the cheek was wrong but the pics. with the smith holding it... made it looks more in perspective. "WOW", sure want to see this one when finished, and good luck with the hunt.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Let us see it again after you've finished the wood!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Hansen:
I have to say, that these are both great looking rifles, on CZ actions. I'd like to ask both of you about your choices of barrels, their respective lengths and manufacturers, rear and front sights and barrel band swivel studs. As always, thanks in advance for both your time and reply.

I recently obtained a used CZ 550 in .416 Rigby thatr some jackass put a muzzle brake on. Other than that deformity, this rifle is very impressive. If all CZ's shoot this well, a person would be wasting money rebarreling it! For example, with a .417" diameter, 350grain cast gascheck bullet of Brinell 21 hardness and using 112-grains of AA8700, it will put three shots into one hole at 100 yards (MV 2100 FPS). It does equally well with the Speer Mag-Tip 350-grain jacketed bullet and 95 grains of IMR 4350 in Jamison cases.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love some suggestions re. engraving?
I have booked Ken Hunt to do it.

John

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love some suggestions re. engraving?
I have booked Ken Hunt to do it.

My engraving advice. Listen to his...

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I will give him a ring, though I'm sure Mr. Hunt will have some useful suggestions.
I think some fine scroll with the odd bit of gold might be just the ticket. Nothing too over the top.....

John

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Holy shit batman! You are having THE Ken Hunt engrave your rifle? Better re-mortgage the house! But damn will it be worth it in the end!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
You may have misunderstood my meaning or I may have misunderstood yours.

I meant, if it were a project I was having done, I would listen to what Ken Hunt had to say. Though, not just because it's Ken Hunt. I would take the advice of anybody I hired to do a job for me. If I didn't trust their knowledge, I wouldn't hire them.

Sorry for any confusion.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, my fault completely.
His advice was that it is up to me to decide what I want! Not very helpful...

I just can't make up my mind.

If you were in my shoes, what engraving style would you go for?

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
....or even better - some pics of your own rifles showing some tasty engraving Smiler

John